sleepy modem

cottager 22:21 16 Jul 04

Ever since I had my Evesham notebook (bought new 2.5 years ago now) I have had a lazy modem and Evesham tried various things but the modem stayed the same. In frustration I bought a PC card modem and my connections improved for a while but not for long.
I can sometimes wait as long as 3 minutes for a new web page to download!!
What has prompted this message though is that last night it took 35 minutes to send an email with a 400kb attachment but meanwhile ZA picked up over 600 alerts. The annoying thing was that when the email finally went after having several pop up messages saying that the smtp server wasn't responding did I want to wait more information was received that was sent.
What information and where does it all go????
I run Spybot regularly and my anti virus programme is up to date. I also clear out all temp files and cookies and defrag on a regular basis.
Anyone got any suggestions please

woodchip 22:32 16 Jul 04

If you are Win 98 It may work better with the Hard Drive cleaned of all junk and reinstalled afresh

woodchip 22:33 16 Jul 04

It could also be down to a bad Telephone Line

cottager 22:37 16 Jul 04

I have had the telephone line checked out and the gain increased and you have no idea how many times I have reformatted this hard drive! Doesn't improve the modem. I think I've just got to live with that until I can afford a new notebook.
My main query is with the "information"/ alerts coming in when I'm sending email or online - is this stuff stored? Does Spybot find it all?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…