Sleep or shut down?

jimmylove 18:10 21 May 04

Just got a peachy new Sony Vaio laptop (Z1XSP). I was wondering if people felt it ok to simply put it to sleep overnight rather than shut it down. This is obviously more convenient for me. I also keep it sleeping when transporting it.
Any ideas?
TIA.

€dstowe 18:33 21 May 04

If it's sleeping, it's still using power,even if it is only a small amount. Over a long period on battery this could be a significant usage and you may not have enough "oomph" when you want to use it.

steve0 18:50 21 May 04

Why don't you enable hibernation - uses no power and boots up in a few seconds

jimmylove 18:54 21 May 04

I don't really get the difference. Can I still have certain programmes open? And how do I enable hibernation in the first place?

computernerdiamnot 18:59 21 May 04

I use what steve0 recommends, best if using it for buisness

SANTOS7 18:59 21 May 04

HIBERNATION vs STANDBY Mode are very similar and people tend to confuse the differences. Standby basically turns off power consuming components like the hard disks and monitor. It switches the computer to a low power state. Its much like a warm boot. Any contents of memory and unsaved desktop settings are lost. Hibernation saves state information by writing a hibernation file which contains the contents of memory and is thus the same size as total RAM. This is a snapshot of active memory. When you turn your PC back on, the state, including which applications are running (desktop) and the memory contents are restored to RAM and voila! - you are back to where you were when Hibernation mode started. The restoration of state can take place in 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days, 5 weeks, ....
Hibernation is only available if your system is ACPI-compatible. If it is not, the Hibernation tab will be missing and you will have an APM tab instead. To enable Hibernation mode as one of your Shutdown options:

click Start / Settings / Control Panel
double-click Power Options icon
click Hibernate tab and select the Enable hibernate support check box click apply

jimmylove 19:01 21 May 04

cool. thanks. it is supported and I'll try it.

computernerdiamnot 19:02 21 May 04

Goto control panel, select power options i and select what you want i.e close lid, press powe button.also click hibernation tab and select hibernation mode. I have hibernation mode selected on close lid and on power button and sleep mode to ask me what i want to do.

computernerdiamnot 19:05 21 May 04

Beat me to SANTOS7 nice explantion of different modes. :)

SANTOS7 19:09 21 May 04

the power of the google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…