Sleep Function Not Working Properly

s99Raj 20:11 20 Dec 10

I have a Philips Freevents 11NB5800 Laptop on which I have Windows 7 Ultimate. It all works fine except for one little thing. I've set a Power Option for it to go to Sleep if I shut the lid. If I leave it for, say, half an hour and open the lid again, I can switch it on and log on where I left off.

But if I leave it on Sleep for over an hour (or sometimes 2 hours) then when I come to use it again, the screen is blank and I can't get it to wake up again. I have to hold the Power button down for a few seconds for it to switch off, and then I have to switch it back on again as normal. I then get the message saying that Windows did not shut down properly.

It's a fresh activated installation of Windows with updated drivers. There are no other programs on it (except for Kaspersky). It did the same thing under Vista; I often can't get it out of Sleep. The BIOS settings are all on Optimised Defaults.

Any ideas please?

I am Spartacus 20:35 20 Dec 10

Does the BIOS have power options for 'Suspend' Mode or State? If so try setting to to 'S3'.

s99Raj 20:47 20 Dec 10

No, there's no Suspend Mode or State in any of the options.

woodchip 21:06 20 Dec 10

Set Hard Drive in Power Settings to Never Turn off

s99Raj 21:09 20 Dec 10

Sure - where can I find the Hard Drive settings to do this?

woodchip 21:30 20 Dec 10

Under one of the Tabs of Power Settings in Control Panel

s99Raj 21:38 20 Dec 10

I've found some Advanced Settings.

I've found one that says "Allow Hybrid Sleep".
What's that?

woodchip 17:23 21 Dec 10

the one you want is same tab as when you tell it to close monitor down if no work is being done, this is same page for hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…