slave to master HD file transfer

alsmith 13:52 04 Aug 06

brief history- mobo and proc replaced new HD fitted as master, trying to transfer all my data from slave to master. can I just drag and drop or do I need be careful with windows (XP home). Internet connection has also stopped working although I know password and username are correct ( get error message saying either one is incorrect)could it be anything to do with the replacement parts? lastly do i need to format the slave once emptied prior to using as a backup. MT

johndrew 13:58 04 Aug 06

I think you need to make an image of your `old` disk and transfer it to the `new` HD. I`m fairly certain it is not just a case of copying everything across.

rawprawn 13:59 04 Aug 06

If your Master is fully loaded, OS and Applications, you can just transfer the data straight accross.
Internet connection, have you entered the correct pop and SMTP settings
When you have transferred all you want I you are better to format the slave and have a fres start.

SANTOS7 13:59 04 Aug 06

Why not reverse them make your slave the master and use new as slave, you wouldn't have to move any files then..

rawprawn 14:00 04 Aug 06

You can transfer Data but not applications, which is why I said "Fully Loaded"

alsmith 14:38 04 Aug 06

I re-loaded my internet connection with the supplied disk (tiscali) surely the pop and SMTP would have been set up then, no problems with my laptop( same user name and password)

rawprawn 14:51 04 Aug 06

I would check if I were you,in Tools/accounts

xania 16:21 04 Aug 06

Let's just goback a step. When you install a new mobo, you MUST reinstall Windows. The existing operating system will have files and drivers relating to your old mobo and trying to bring it back to the new one is asking for trouble. Certainly, this could affect any of trhe attached devices, as the bus will prpoably be different.

Any files and folders other than your Operating system can simply be dragged across. You acan safely drag across 'My Documents' and from your named folder in Documents and Settings your desktop and favorites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…