Slave Master cable question

richierich 16:14 31 Oct 03

Putting a pc together with 2 hard drives , cd drive and dvd writer drive.
Is it best to have 2 hard drives on one cable and cd and dvd drives on secondary cable or is it best to have master drive on primary with cd drive as slave and 2nd hard drive on secondary cable with dvd drive as slave.
or does it not matter one way or the other.

BurrWalnut 16:24 31 Oct 03

Put both the HDDs on the same, main IDE cable.

richierich 16:27 31 Oct 03

Thanks, is there any particular reason, Im not doubting you just curious

Djohn 16:27 31 Oct 03

Don't think it will make a lot of difference with modern systems, but the conventional way is your first suggestion. I have mine set that way but did away with the master/slave bit on all four drives by setting them all to C.S. [Cable select] they all work fine. j.

Dearersteak 16:29 31 Oct 03

Yeah, same as me, i run two 7200 40Gig's on a singal IDE, and a 48x12x12 CD-RW and a 1x DVD Rom on the other. Run the HDD's on the primay cable, and the Optical drives on the Secondary Cable.

Djohn 16:35 31 Oct 03

As an afterthought. Your second method will be better if you want to burn Cd's even faster as you can put the source disk in your DVD player and burn direct to The CDRW, bypassing the hard drive. j.

richierich 16:37 31 Oct 03

Thanks all for answering my question but one more.
What is cable select and how does it work

Laser157 16:43 31 Oct 03

This is quite a good explanation:

click here

I experimented a bit with my setup and decided in the end that master and slave HDDs (both ultra DMA 100) were best together on the primary cable. I then set my DVD ROM as master on secondary and CD R/RW as slave. This also avoids stretching cables if your HDDs are together and the optical drives likewise. I think optical drives which may have a lower data transfer rate can slow down faster HDDs if on the same cable, but stand to be corrected on that.

Laser157 16:45 31 Oct 03

Cable select. If you set all your drive jumpers to cable select and use appropriate cables, the drive at the end of the cable will be automatically set as master and the one nearer the mobo will be slave.

Djohn 17:21 31 Oct 03

All drives will run at their respective speed and not to the speed of the slowest drive. j.

SGT BARNES 17:23 31 Oct 03

well i never new that LASER157 , you learn something every day

i might give that a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…