Slave Hdd not accessable even though device manage

TTP 22:01 19 Aug 03

r sees it.
Using Windows 98 se
Added new slave drive (seagate) using Seagate diskwizard (partitioned into D:&E:)
Had to reformat c: due to some errors.
D: & E: has stored data on it (e-mails etc)
Reloaded windows.
Now D: & E: are not there anymore in w/explorer even though device manager and bios sees the slave drive
Now, i've changed drive letter allocations before (when i fitted a CDr/RW drive) but for the sake of me i cant bloody remember the procedure for it.
Would the procedure be similar ?
Why cant windows see the data on the slave ?

sil_ver 22:22 19 Aug 03

Have you tried disconnecting the slave HDD rebooting to windows then shutting down and reconnecting the drive? I had a similar problem and it seems the recognition data had become corrupt, after doing the above all appears well again.

TTP 16:29 20 Aug 03

No, that did not work.
The wifes going to go spazz because all the digital photos that weve recently taken and not burnt to disc is on the slave drive !
Help !?!

plankton 16:46 20 Aug 03

just click here and see if any of the info helps.

plankton 14:41 21 Aug 03

How ya gettin' on? Wife's not found out has she?

Djohn 14:52 21 Aug 03

;o)

plankton 16:02 21 Aug 03

Can you point me to somewhere which explains these (are they "smiley"?) symbols, 'fraid I havent worked most of them out !!

TTP 10:34 22 Aug 03

update -
No not yet
udate to how drive was set up -
D: was 9Gb 4kb cluster
E: was 10Gb 8kb cluster (i didnt choose these cluster sizes dw did - reccommended)
Tried this so far :
Uplugged / replugged drive reboot in between
Removed slave drive listing from dev man rebooted in between and tried above
Removed ata controller listing from dev man and tried above inbetween and aswell as
Downloaded 'seatools' from segate tried that (its a pain) no joy doesnt even get near the problem ,although it does see the drive
Tried disc wizard aswell ,it saw the drive but nothing else(not partitions) during this try out session i went through it upto but no further to menu of what to use drive for-i selected storage(to try and get some info out of it)but quit out when it wasnt forthcoming
Done a smart restore (hardware) it didnt work either
Restarted and used win98 startup disc tools - scandisk /all it found the slave aswell but didnt report any partitions
Installed from master cd1 'disc doctor' done drives test-it found the slave but reported no partitions on it either
Im beginning to think that formatting c: under windows has removed the slaves partitions' flags thus reporting an empty disc or, its actually wiped the data off the drive and im screwed.
Anybody know of any free data recovery tools???
By the way i work nights and cant always be online regularly & thanks to you who have helped me so far.

temp003 11:02 22 Aug 03

It may have something to do with disk drive overlay installed by Seagate's Disk Wizard. When you reformatted the C drive (which probably contained the overlay software), you lost that software and the ability to read the drive.

click here for a similar problem.

click here

click here

The last link is probably the applicable solution.

The data should still be there. Just don't do anything drastic to that hard disk.

TBH1 12:30 22 Aug 03

this problem so similar to the one I had its unbelievable - -though the link to it on this foorum is posted above, have a look here - - -it does go on a bit but worth a read.
click here

plankton 13:13 22 Aug 03

TTP,

My apologies, I've found a site with "smilies" on - click here
so I can use and understand - I did of course mean ;o)

Djohn,

Thanks for pointing it out, research is a strange thing.....us newbies to chat rooms....eh? :o)
or even ,o).....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…