slave to the hardrive

exhumed 09:56 16 Aug 03

I want to instal a slave hardrive but it already has an o/s on it.Simplest way to instal and format information please.

DieSse 10:02 16 Aug 03

You could just fit it, and if the computer boots up correctly from your main drive, format it from within Windows.

Otherwise you could connect it temporarliy as Master (disconnect your other drive first). Then start up with a boot floppy, and fdik/format it from there first. Then reset it as Slave and "bob's your uncle".

LastChip 10:12 16 Aug 03

Your not too clear about what you want to do.

I think you are saying, I have a spare drive with an operating system on, that I wish to add as a slave. Is that correct?

If so, look at the drive, and somewhere on the case, should be details of how to set the jumper (configure) as a slave drive. Set the jumper and add the drive to the MIDDLE connector of your ribbon cable.

Now boot your machine, and Windows should recognize your second had drive. It will select the next available letter, before any CD/DVD drives, so if you only have a C: drive, it will become D:

Now you can save any files you wish to keep by transferring them to your C: drive and finally format D: to clear the drive of your old operating system, and create a clean D: drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…