slave Hard drive wont format more than 30gb win 2k

richierich 20:21 02 Nov 04

running pentium 4 pc with 120gig master harddrive.
Added a 80gb to use as slave but when i tried to format it it gets to 99% then says volume is too large and wont format. I tried another disk and the same.
Im running win 2000pro formated using FAT32 (i know ntfs is better but it needs to be FAT 32 for reasons I wont go into).
I did manage to format a partition on it as 30gb and i guess i can format the rest in two more partitions but Id like one large 80gb partition. any ideas you smart people out there.

marjted 20:56 02 Nov 04

Seagate site has a number of free downloads to automate the installation and sort out settings when installing hard drives. Very easy and safe to use. I recently used one to install 160Gb on XP but recall having to use one on previous machine - poss with W98 because of a 32Gb max limit which had to be overcome.
Might be worth a look, they work on other makes too.

richierich 21:01 02 Nov 04

will check out that site.
Im just confused as to why the master drive is 120gb formated fat 32 ok so why the slave wont work

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 02 Nov 04

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

richierich 22:30 02 Nov 04

I will try the download tools from maxtor as it is a maxtor drive and report back on thursday, thanks for all responses.

temp003 08:50 03 Nov 04

w2k (and XP)'s formatting utility has a limitation in formatting in FAT32. Its max is 32 GB (it may be MS's way to encourage people to use NTFS). It has no problem reading or writing to a re-formatted FAT32 partition larger than 32GB. You just have to format it in another way.

All you need to do is use a 98 boot floppy to fdisk/format FAT32 partitions. w2k will be able to use them without problems.

richierich 15:59 03 Nov 04

that makes sense as that is exactly what Ive found (it formats 30gb ok)
I have a Window 98se cd, how do I make a boot disk from it without doing an install of win 98? or can I download one from somewhere?

It's Me 17:32 03 Nov 04
  richierich 18:16 03 Nov 04

I disconnected master hdrive, connected one to use as slave and rebooted with win 98 cd and let the cd format the hrddrive then quit when it asked o install win 98.
then switched off reconnected master and newly formated drive as slave.
thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…