Slave Hard Drive Problem

BLUELEN 14:42 08 Apr 07

PC was initially refusing to boot, kept getting the windows was unable access etc message.Nothing worked,safemode,etc nor could I get anywhere booting from the CD (XP Pro)- it also strangely wouldn't give me the option to repair. So as there is unfortunately some data and emails that have not been backed up and needing them, I decided to install a new hard drive as the primary with XP on it and set the old drive as the slave so hoping to secure access that way. I can now see the old drive but when trying to open it I get a message saying that the disc in drive (f) is not formatted.
Has anyone any ideas on how I can get access as there is some data that I would rather not lose.
Thanks

Mad Will 14:57 08 Apr 07

It Could be that the hard drive has packed in or that it can mount the harddrive disc

Mad Will 14:58 08 Apr 07

It Could be that the hard drive has packed in or that it can't mount the harddrive disc

BLUELEN 15:20 08 Apr 07

If the hard drive has packed in, are any the data recovery sofware programmes of any use?

BLUELEN 15:22 08 Apr 07

If the hard drive has packed in, are any the data recovery sofware programmes of any use?

woodchip 15:24 08 Apr 07

The MBR is corrupt. Could you get to prompt if you booted from CD. if so type at the prompt

Fix /MBR

BLUELEN 15:32 08 Apr 07

Could you please advise further on how to boot from the cd, as as its the slave I'm trying to access I'm a little confused. Thanks

woodchip 15:36 08 Apr 07

Put the Drive back first just as it was before, then go into the BIOS setup, Set boot devices as first CD second Hard Drive. Then try starting with XP CD if you can get to a Prompt like C:\> type as above

Fix /MBR note the space before / then press enter. yopu may not see it do anything. you just have to then try a normal boot without the cd

woodchip 15:37 08 Apr 07

Put the Drive back first just as it was before, then go into the BIOS setup, Set boot devices as first CD second Hard Drive. Then try starting with XP CD if you can get to a Prompt like C:\> type as above

Fix /MBR note the space before / then press enter. yopu may not see it do anything. you just have to then try a normal boot without the cd

BLUELEN 15:44 08 Apr 07

Thanks will give it a try. Probably report back 2moro now as have to go out shortly. If all fails any views any data recovery software?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…