Slave hard drive not seen in my computer or

helen_312 23:46 18 Nov 07

Disk management.

I have a 80Gb master running XP home and a 120Gb slave. The master boots into windows with out fault. The slave showns in the bios, post, in device manager, disk drives and atapi drives.

There is no way to format the drive through windows as it's not shown in my computer or disk management. the drive was working fine and has a ntfs file system.

I have tried booting with a XP installation disk, with the 80Gb disconnected and tried to force a format. This stopped at installing windows page.

I have tried an ultimate boot disk with kill disk and all the wiping tools. I have tried to rebuild the partition through test disk and other utilities, all fail. They can see the disk and all report it as a 120gb maxtor hard drive.

I have downloaded the maxtor / seagate utilities but they do not see the disk and so can not work on it.

I have tried Ubunti, it loads from cd and when I ask it to load onto the hard drive, it sees the drive and sets up the full partition and as it starts to install comes up with a F3 virtual drive error.

In all instances the drive is seen and recognised as a maxtor 120Gb. It just will not let me work on it:-(

Any suggestions to what I may of missed?

helen_312 23:53 18 Nov 07

Also have tried Fdisk and fdisk mbr. Even tried to load Vista on the disk, just to check drive fitness.

S.M.A.R.T.reports the drive to be fine and healthy.

What I do get in device manager, disk drives, maxtor120gb, volumes and then populate is virtually zero for all settings.

I think the mbr is damaged but nothing seems to be touching it.

helen_312 19:51 19 Nov 07

Bump.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 19 Nov 07

The slave showns in the bios, post, in device manager, disk drives and atapi drives.

Try uninstalling in device manager rebbot see if windows finds and reinstalls in devicemanager and then see if it appears in M Comp and Disk Man.

A simuar problem over the wwekend (but on a master disk) was down to faulty memory.

helen_312 21:01 19 Nov 07

I'll give that a go.

helen_312 21:23 19 Nov 07

it's just the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 19 Nov 07

have you tried the good old Fdisk to erase all partitions and then format.

helen_312 21:43 19 Nov 07

Fdisk says there is no disk present:-(

Whether it's because it has a NTFS file system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 19 Nov 07

Sorry yes fdisk will not see NTFS.

I have tried booting with a XP installation disk, with the 80Gb disconnected and tried to force a format. This stopped at installing windows page.

faulty drive as MASTER (reset jumpers) stopped at installing windows page is symptm of drive set as slave.

have you also tried putting it on a differnet IDE channel?

boot from XP to recovery consol

FIXMBR

FIXboot

skidzy 22:40 19 Nov 07

Have you tried the drive in a caddy or usb adaptor on another pc/laptop ?

helen_312 23:00 19 Nov 07

' faulty drive as MASTER (reset jumpers) stopped at installing windows page is symptm of drive set as slave. '

I have tried the jumpers on master \ slave and cable select.

'
have you also tried putting it on a differnet IDE channel? '

The machine it is on has only 1 IDE. I have had it into 2 seperate machines on both IDE channels. No difference.

' boot from XP to recovery consol

FIXMBR

FIXboot '

have tried that with XP disk and also a 98se disk.

skidzy

As above. I have had it into different machines, different IDE channels, different jumper settings. On it's own with other operating systems.

I think it's a lost cause. Even test disk sees the drive but can do nothing with it.:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…