Slave hard drive low access speed

lester1 23:18 19 Feb 05

Tests on my PC show the access speed of my slave hard drive to be 7/MBs.
This is apparently slow! The master drive has an access speed of 18MB/s which is supposedly normal.

The slave is formatted to FAT32 and spins at the same speed as the master (5400rpm) and has DMA enabled.

M/board asus K7m, processor athlon 650 Mhz slot A, Master drive Quantum Fireball, Slave drive IBM? revision level T55OA73

OS Win 98SE

dan11 00:02 20 Feb 05

This is difficult to diagnose with out the hard drive model numbers. Your motherboard supports an transfer rate of ATA66, so the fireball speed is about right at 18Mbps, if this is the un-cached rate.

Download everest home. This will give you both make and model numbers for your hard drives.
click here

Post back with the info.

lester1 23:46 21 Feb 05

Sorry about the late reply dan11, just recovering from flu so have not been online for a while.

Down loaded Everest

Slave hard drive Device Description
IBM-DTTA-350840 (WE0WEF90744)
IBM Desk star 16GB titan
Transfer rate UDMA 2 (ATA-33)

Dorsai 07:40 22 Feb 05

Is your slave drive on the same IDE cable as a Cd-rom drive?

If so, this is probably the cause of your problem. The IDE controller for the cable can only run at the speed of the slowest device on the cable. As most cd-rom's seem to be ATA-33, this will casue the HDD to run at ATA-33, even if it capable of running faster.

dan11 08:55 22 Feb 05

Hi lester1

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather.

Your hard disk, the IBM-DTTA-350840, is a 5400rpm ATA33 hard drive. So it seems, to me, that you have it running at it's best speed. The 33 refers to the cached area on the hard drive for the fastest access. So you may get the first 2Mb of information at 33Mb. This then slows to the un-cached data transfer rate. This transfer rate varies, but is usually in the 25% to 33% range of the maximum speed. So 7Mbps is just slightly on the low side of the 25%.

Where as your quantum fireball must be ATA66 or higher. The fireball, theoretically, should run twice as fast as the IBM because this will be rated at 66Mbps. The 18Mbps you get for this, falls well into the 25% to 33% field.

If you ever need to replace the IBM, then try to get an ATA66 or ATA100 hard drive. This will increase the data transfer rate of the slave.

dan11 08:59 22 Feb 05

As an after thought.

Have you defragged the slave drive recently. This may up the transfer rate, if this has not been done for awhile.;-)

lester1 22:34 23 Feb 05

dan11
Thanks I guessed as much when I saw ATA33 on the drive. Yes the Fire ball is ATA66. Both drives are defragged regularly at least every oyher day.

Dorsai
Thanks for your input both drives are on the same IDE cable

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…