Slave Hard Drive installation problem.

I`ve just installed a small Maxtor Hard Drive to use as slave/backup. It appears to be working fine and I have full access to the drive through "My computer". The problem is everytime I reboot the PC XP recognises the drive as new hardware and tries to get me to install it.

Do I need to use Fdisk to install the drive or does that just format/partition the drive?

bremner 13:32 07 Sep 03

click here= for maxtor guidance on dealing with this.

Thanks Bremner

The Maxtor advice linked to is if the drive is not visible in "My Computer". In my case though the drive is visible, formatted and appears to be working fine.

Perhaps I have to go through that procedure to stop Xp from nagging me to install the drive??

bremner 13:46 07 Sep 03

I recently installed a new Maxtor drive and had the same problem, although mine was not showing in 'My Computer'

All was well after following the procedure in the link.

I will give it a go when I get home (at work at present).

Cheers

Tried that and as far as I can see everything looks fine apart from the fact that whenever I start the PC I am prompted to "install my new hardware" even though it appears to be installed in every other way!

howard60 23:06 07 Sep 03

I have the similar prob - everytime I boot up the found new hardware wizard tries but fails to install bus mastering. It must be a problem with windows xp but it does not appear to be mentioned anywhere.

Anyone got further ideas as to what might be the problem?

I have e-mailed maxtor for advice - will post reply (if I get one :o))

Still waiting for maxtor to reply. I am seriously considering a clean install of Xp with crossed fingers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…