slave hard drive

bpzoom 17:22 05 Jan 04

Windows XP HOME. I want to instal a second hard drive as a slave. I intend to partition the slave drive. As it will be a slave, should all the partitions be made secondary ones, or does the new drive have to have one primary partition? I have no intention of ever loading an additional OS. Is there a recommended formatting utility other than Fdisk please?

Rayuk 18:30 05 Jan 04

Go to Start-run-type in diskmgmt.msc
Your slave drive should show up here,you can then partion and format here.
If you then click on the Help tab then help topics and have a look through.

Diemmess 18:34 05 Jan 04

I think it sensible to format with first partition active, assuming you are using FDISK.
I don't think there is a penalty waiting to spoil your day if you do this.

As for XP (uncharted territory for me) there is probably a facility somewhere in XP to do it all for you. I keep seeing mentioned in this forum HD manufacturers websites with downloadable programs to partition and format their products in a "friendly way"

Rayuk 19:53 05 Jan 04

As this is going to be a slave drive no need to make any partition active.
Diskmanagement is the easy way to do it,just have a look at the help files first.

bpzoom 23:00 05 Jan 04

Brilliant ! I did not know this was provided within XP, and thought I needed to buy a prog like Partition Magic. Although the second disc has yet to arrive, I have carried out the process you pointed to, and have split the current 38gb C drive into two partitions. I did it 50/50 with 19g for Windows etc and the rest on the logical drive now named F. Is there a recommended minimum size for the WIN XP primary partition please? I read somewhere it should be no more than 8gb, I have given it 19gb. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…