slave drive

woofwoofbark 10:03 07 Sep 04

I have hooked up a second harddrive to my system , it came from a friend but he hasnt scrubbed it ... i would like it to use for storing my programs and to use my master for the usual everyday use , I was wondering how I could scrub everything thats on it

cheers

geo

Diodorus Siculus 10:51 07 Sep 04

Format it - how to do so depends on the OS.

Right click on it in "my computer" and choose format.

woofwoofbark 13:15 07 Sep 04

XP Pro is on the drive ,i tried a format but a message saying :-

Windows cannot format this drive.Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive,and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive.Then try formatting again .. OK

I rebooted but got the same message again

any ideas on what to do ?

cheers

geo

Diodorus Siculus 22:02 09 Sep 04

Get a floppy fro, for example, click here and use the format command.

Or boot with an OS CD and format that way. To be certain of no mistakes, disconnect the other disk.

Djohn 22:24 09 Sep 04

way to do it if your not sure of what your doing but if you have XP on your master drive, [Drive C] and feel confident then try the following.

Boot with both drives connected, right click on the My Computer Icon and choose Manage then left click on Disk management. You will now see both of your drives. Your master or C drive is "Disk 0" the slave drive will have a different letter but will be "Disk 1".

Right click in the right hand pane of Disk 1 and choose format from the drop-down menu. It should work from there. Just double check that you are clicking on the correct drive, [Disk 1] before clicking on format.

Although I do think that XP won't let you format the drive it's installed on and working from. IE: If you clicked on the wrong drive [The Master Drive or Disk 0] and then tried to format, it would not let you. But I'm not 100% certain of that, just 99% :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…