slave drive

the kopite 10:52 07 Jul 04

Hi Guys Again I have just added a second drive for storage but I can not change the drive names previously I had c and d on master but now it shows c d e but my slave drive is shown as d I tried to rename in my computer but no luck any ideas guys thanks Kopite

Cuddles 11:33 07 Jul 04

What operating system are you using?

norman47 11:49 07 Jul 04

I take it from your post that your c drive is partitioned, so you had c+d.

C will be your primary partition and marked active ( so this will be top banana. lol)

D is your extended partition from your c drive so was in effect second fiddle to it.

Because you have added a new hard drive as slave and formatted it. This has moved up in the pecking order of how windows sees the hard drives. Your new slave drive will be a primary partition, but not active. This windows sees as a more important drive than the extended partition drive, but not as important as the c drive as the c drive is active.

So windows allocates the drive letters in pecking order.

C the most important as it is active and boots from it

D as it is a primary partition

and poor E as it is just an extended partition.

I would guess you are running either 98 or ME.

I think the only way you are going to force windows to re-allocate is to get some third party software. Partition magic should allow you to force windows to swap the drive letters.

TBH1 12:44 07 Jul 04

norman47 - very well put, mate.

Djohn 12:45 07 Jul 04

norman47 is correct in the way the drive letter allocation will have altered but if your using XP you should be able to change any of the drive letters/names except for the C: partition.

Right click on my Computer choose manage/disk management then right click in the right-hand pane of the new window and from the drop down menu choose "Change drive letter and paths" just alter the letter from there.

If you want to change it to a letter that is already in use you will have to give the drive/partition that already holds that letter a temporary one such as X or Y then re-letter when you have changed the first one. j.

the kopite 14:37 07 Jul 04

Trumps again Guys it is winxp and thanks djohn it worked fine top guys Kopite

Djohn 14:46 07 Jul 04

Your welcome kopite. Pleased we could help. :o)

norman47 17:17 07 Jul 04

Good to hear you are sorted. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…