Skype/Firewall Settings

Gorillaz 05:05 22 Jan 07

I am going to install Skype on my pc and laptop. I have read that Skye can use your PC to run their global service and this can cause effect your useage with your isp. I am using a netgear DG834GT modem/router with inbuilt firewall and norton firewall on my PC. On my laptop I am just using norton firwall when I am travelling. How can I disable Skype from hogging my useage with both firewalls.

Miros 06:30 22 Jan 07

Right click it and select quit,i.e. shut it down.

Gorillaz 08:46 22 Jan 07

Thanks miros, if I shut it down does it mean that anyone calling my skype number will not get through to me?

Miros 10:08 22 Jan 07

PC 2 PC yes. PC to landline ??? depends.

Stuartli 10:09 22 Jan 07

>>Skye can use your PC to run their global service>>

I don't understand the basis or reasoning behind this statement.

Miros 10:15 22 Jan 07

I'm unsure about this one myself :-)

ACOLYTE 10:29 22 Jan 07

I tried skype and i couldnt seem to stop it loading at start up,even when i unticked the box to allow bootup with windows it somehow managed to reinstate itself.In the end i uninstalled it.

Miros 10:38 22 Jan 07

You could try this programme.
click here
It's to help you select what you want to load at start up.

Stuartli 10:45 22 Jan 07

Skype only initialises when I click on the Skype icon on the Desktop.

Miros 10:49 22 Jan 07

Same here :-)

baldtaco 13:10 22 Jan 07

Skype is based on P2P. When you install it you agree to let it promote your rig to a Supernode if necessary. This allows Skype to second resources from users if need be.

Don't run it as a server, or better stick it behind a NAT router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…