Skype - User's experiences

I am considering using Skype, what experiences, good and especially bad have people had?

Are there any MUST KNOW facts

Cheers

SCUNNER 14:54 16 Jul 05

i am using skype at the moment and i call france and have not had any problems.

EARLR 14:59 16 Jul 05

I use it from Spain to call the U.S.A. and have no problems, clear as a "BELL".My son lives in California and has Skype so we can talk for free.
Calls to land lines in the states are clear however calls to land lines in Ireland most times have an echo. calls to moblies are more expenieve.

Stuartli 15:11 16 Jul 05

Use between my home, the British West Indies and one of the offspring about seven miles away in conference form - first class reception most of the time between all three.

As David Dickinson would say: "As cheap as chips" but, in this case, even cheaper..:-)

Stuartli 15:19 16 Jul 05

By the way you can also have video conferencing with Skype. See:

click here

DieSse 16:51 16 Jul 05

A fact that you should know - Skype uses proprietary standards - that is, is can only talk to certain other types of user.

Open standards are essential IMHO in the world of telephony, to allow users on different networks to interconnect. Imagine having a Vodaphone mobile where you couldn't talk to an Orange user (for instance).

Open standards Skype killer - Gizmo - look on here click here

If you only want to talk computer to computer, you're also just as well off using MSN Messenger - and you can have a camera too!

Stuartli 18:16 16 Jul 05

See my post above yours...:-)

DieSse 18:43 16 Jul 05

See my post above yours...:-)

I'm not quite sure I see the current relevance for home users - it looks like the kind of system that is put into place in corporate networks, or by providers.

Gizmo has video-conferencing built-in anyway.

woodglass 19:39 16 Jul 05

Exactly what hardware/software do you need to be able to use Skype ?
(Besides a PC I mean)

Stuartli 19:44 16 Jul 05

Just a headset with mike boom or headset + speakers; the latter is not the best method as the other party can often pick up an echo from your speakers' output.

Oh, and the Skype software of course from: click here

Stuartli 19:45 16 Jul 05

I am at a loss to understand your logic re corporate networks etc.

Video conferencing is video conferencing, whether in a business environment or in front of your own monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5