Skype - uninvited contacts

oldbeefer2 11:13 16 Aug 09

I've been running Skype for ages with no problems, and find it an excellent programme for webcams. However, over the last few days I've been getting popups saying so-and-so has added me to their contacts list (five this morning alone). I've set Skype to block these people and checked that contact is allowed from people in my contacts list only. Anything else I can do, please?

Sparkly 12:07 16 Aug 09

oldbeefer2
Hi your not alone i have had the same thing happening to me just lately make you wonder how they get on your list lets hope someone comes up with a solution for you and myself.

Boghound 14:46 16 Aug 09

Just relax and laugh it off....life's too short to worry about it...As long as you are not daft enough to accept you new "friend" and always click on the "block" link!

Sea Urchin 15:39 16 Aug 09
  oldbeefer2 16:21 16 Aug 09

Thanks SeaUrchin. Seems like there's nothing to be done. So far, mine have all been just contacts, but a friend had a new contact which she clicked on to find some very intimate pics of the sender. Odd people about!

johnnyrocker 19:48 16 Aug 09

it seems to be getting very prevalent nowadays in facebook etc along with skype best bet has already been advised

johnny

oldbeefer2 13:47 19 Aug 09

Just found on the Skype forums that they are 'working on it'. Members of that forum do not seem confident and are themselves looking for an alternative to protect their families from this recent onslaught of SPAM. Shame, as the video facility is great.

oldbeefer2 11:06 20 Aug 09

Tokbox looks interesting as it is suitable for Macs as well as a PC (son in Sydney uses a Mac, so the programme has to be suitable for both). I'll give it a try at the weekend. I used to use Sightspeed, but the video screen was too small and couldn't be resized.

Technotiger 12:42 20 Aug 09

I use Skype to video-chat to my son who uses Macs in Lanzarote, I am in UK using Windows - no problems at all.

oldbeefer2 13:01 20 Aug 09

Yes, I too use Skype PC to MAC, but if you have a look at my original post, I'm concerned at the increasing number of SPAM contacts that appear. There's a long thread on the Skype forum about it click here

oldbeefer2 13:03 20 Aug 09

More about the problem here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac