Skype and playing CDs

exdragon 18:02 06 Jan 06

Hi - I've recently downloaded Skype and am using it with a Skype-compatible USB phone. However, when I play music CDs, I get the sound through the phone instead of the speakers.

Have I done something which I ought not to have done, or vice versa? Or do I just have to unplug the phone when I want a CD? Got XP and BB.

Thanks

alexgray104 18:07 06 Jan 06

Sound is a shady area for me - so sorry if this doesn't help. I think your pc may be detecting the phone not just as a phone, but as a speaker as well. in audio settings you may be able to change the default sound source for CD's to your normal PC speakers. For example my default device for sound playback is "Creative Sound Blaster PCI", yours might be set to Skype Phone (or something like that). And when you unplug the phone the sound restores back to the normal speakers as they are now the only device. Hope this helps.

exdragon 18:42 06 Jan 06

Shady area or not - when I checked in Control Panel, I saw that when I plugged the phone in, the default device changed from Realtek to Generic USB device. When I changed it bck to Realtek - lo and behold, sound from the speakers.

However, the sound seems much more tinny and bit echo-y than it used to, so perhaps if I leave this unticked a bit longer, there may be something else I've missed

exdragon 18:50 06 Jan 06

I've done it again - the volume control is one of those thigs where it's very easy to turn not only the volume knob but also the balance ring....

Sound is now fine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…