Skype (or equivilant VOIP)

LeedsLass 16:27 14 Jun 07

So I have a laptop and a desktop that both are connected to the www with a wireless router. I am thinking about getting Skype (or equivilent) so I can chat to a mate (who is also thinking about getting it to chat to me) but I don't know where to start.

What hardware/software do I need?
Is it easy to set up?
What's the approx. initial outlay in £s? (I understand it's free to talk to other users once you're up and running - is that correct?)

Any other questions that I don't know about that may need answering, please feel free.....

Oh, idiots guides as well please :o)

Someone at work has mentioned this:...

"Being a person in favour of software standards I would look into SIP providers (eg Babble, BT, Orange) rather than Skype, which uses a protocol of their own.

There's no practical difference in use, however, you download the software and a softphone or buy a hardware phone. If you want to make calls to internet-connected PCs it'll be free, if you want to call landlines or mobiles you have a pre-pay arrangement, which you will be familiar with from pre-pay mobile 'phones. If you want landlines to be able to ring your SIP account you pay a low one-off fee for a landline number. This number doesn't have to be local to you.

You can get all sorts of other hardware, such as wireless phones and kit that connects to your wireless router and allows you to use your SIP account without a PC; or a little USB gadget that you can carry around with you to enable you to use your account from any PC.

If you regularly make phone calls abroad you should have a serious look at SIP. It'll save a fortune"

If anyone has more info or a link to where I can read more about purchasing the above stuff instead of Skype, it would be really helpful

jarani 16:42 14 Jun 07

I use skype for keeping in touch with friends in Europe and japan - using webcam as well - it is brilliant and totally free to setup and to use - as you want to keep up with a friend you will both need to set up skype - no problem - jarbie

jarani 16:45 14 Jun 07

ps - input skype in google and take it away - jarbie

Quiet Life 16:48 14 Jun 07

This is the link click here
I use it with ordinary computer mic and speakers and calls are not bad.No need to buy anthing.

jarani 16:56 14 Jun 07

ps2 - be careful in setting up the skype account about anonymity - you can use synonyms - you do not need to give your name etc - jarbie

LeedsLass 17:06 14 Jun 07

And how does it work with regard to incoming calls - so do you have to arrange to be online together like if you were going to chat on MSN? Or can one just randomly call the other one and they are alerted by the "phone" ringing

I apologise - this is totally new ground for me.

Miros 17:27 14 Jun 07

If you use VoipDiscount click here you can phone ORDINARY LAND LINE PHONES via your PC to most parts of the world, including USA, Australia, Canada. Europe, and also here in the UK for Ten Euros which will last for 120 days after that you will be charged @ less than 1 penny a minute until your ten euros have been used up, or you top it up again when you will start again with free calls for 120 days.

My wife and I have used for over twelve months now and saved a fortune on phone bills, and boy can she talk, she could talk for England:-)

You will need a Mike and speakers, or alternatively like us we use a headset and mike, you could get this from say PC World for under a tenner.

Stuartli 18:54 14 Jun 07

Skype will inform you if any of your contacts are online merely by hovering the cursor over their name in the main panel.

It can also indicate to the other party or parties that they are being contacted; there's also a chat feature (like ICQ) and the means to have more than two people in a conversation.

Stuartli 18:54 14 Jun 07

Skype will inform you if any of your contacts are online merely by hovering the cursor over their name in the main panel.

It can also indicate to the other party or parties that they are being contacted; there's also a chat feature (like ICQ) and the means to have more than two people in a conversation.

Miros 18:57 14 Jun 07

VoipDiscount will do the same.

But only once lol ;-)

eedcam 19:36 14 Jun 07

Have look at Sipgate good support and consider a setup which does not need the PC to be on. Some provide adaptors so you can use your existing phone .I use a cordless sip phone and eit receives either voip or landline calls and vice versa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now