Skype via my switch?

pjbw 17:32 PM 01 Mar 12

I have my Windows 7 PC connected to my switch/broadband modem via an Ethernet cable. I have one Ethernet socket still spare on the switch. What I am considering is connecting a Skype phone (Philips VOIP855 say) via the spare socket and installing Skype on the PC. Then I would have Skype connected for audio calls when the PC is off and I could send files etc when the PC is on. Would this work, or is it not that simple?

Nontek 20:06 PM 01 Mar 12

In the absence of any other answers, I would say, one way to find out is to try it!!

pjbw 18:10 PM 02 Mar 12

That's possibly what I will finish up doing. Only snag is that the Philips VOIP855 series seems to be the front runner and costs about £120 ! I would hate to have it connected and then find that I cannot access Skype on my PC.

Nontek 20:05 PM 02 Mar 12

My guess is that it would work fine - Install Skype first if not already on your PC.

(I use Skype too, on Win7)

Nontek 20:11 PM 02 Mar 12

[Home & Skype phones]

Have a look at this .....

http://shop.skype.com/phones/

Woolwell 22:38 PM 02 Mar 12
  retep888™ 02:13 AM 03 Mar 12

I assume the switch you meant is the spare LAN port at the back of your router, as long as the router is on & connected to internet then you can sign in Skype on the Philips VOIP855 after setup & you don't need the PC for configuration.

Quick setup guide click here

Rob Gibson 08:54 AM 03 Mar 12

I have Skype running on my desktop which is connected to my router via ethernet. I also have a Skype Dualphone connected to the same router via ethernet. Both are on and logged in on the same account at the same time. I can call out on either, and when a call comes in both ring and I can answer either. With one in use I can still use the other for calls. The phone will not handle file transfers though.

pjbw 18:47 PM 03 Mar 12

Thank you Rob, That answers my question.

Rob Gibson 18:58 PM 04 Mar 12

Good, thanks for letting me know.

Additionally, I have an iPod touch connected by wireless. So, that's three devices all logged in on the same account at the same time. It's all very clever. I just wish I knew more about how it all works!

Rob Gibson 19:02 PM 04 Mar 12

Thanks for letting me know.

I also have an iPod Touch connected by wireless, so that's three devices logged-in at the same time on the same account! It's all very clever, and I wish I understood how it does it! Anyway, it all works.

Regards,

Rob.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…