Skype download usage.

tilly 2 18:15 PM 25 Apr 12
Answered

Please can someone tell me roughly how much download usage is involved for a one hour Skype video call. And if you switch off the video during the call and use speech for say half the call does that make a great saving of download usage? Last question, I've heard that if you leave Skype on in a standby situation, awaiting calls, that download usage is still being used. I have a 40GB download allowance per month. So was wondering how this will be affected by skype.

chub_tor 19:07 PM 25 Apr 12

My Skype video calls are typically 800Mb to 1Gb per hour. I can only assume that audio only calls will be much less than that. The bandwidth used by Skype on standby is negligible.

chub_tor 19:15 PM 25 Apr 12

I take back my last comment about the negligible use on standby Read this and you will see that it is about 1.3Gb per month. Personally I only have Skype running when I am expecting to receive or wanting to make a call.

tilly 2 19:48 PM 25 Apr 12

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering if you know anything about gmail video calls if they work as peer 2 peer basis as skype does. Had a look but could not find info. Your second reply made interesting reading.

chub_tor 11:03 AM 26 Apr 12

Sorry but I have no knowledge or experience of gmail video.

tilly 2 15:58 PM 26 Apr 12
Answer

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I think gmail is p2p same as skype. I will do the same as you and only run skype when needed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…