Skype download usage.

tilly 2 25 Apr 12
Answered

Please can someone tell me roughly how much download usage is involved for a one hour Skype video call. And if you switch off the video during the call and use speech for say half the call does that make a great saving of download usage? Last question, I've heard that if you leave Skype on in a standby situation, awaiting calls, that download usage is still being used. I have a 40GB download allowance per month. So was wondering how this will be affected by skype.

chub_tor 25 Apr 12

My Skype video calls are typically 800Mb to 1Gb per hour. I can only assume that audio only calls will be much less than that. The bandwidth used by Skype on standby is negligible.

chub_tor 25 Apr 12

I take back my last comment about the negligible use on standby Read this and you will see that it is about 1.3Gb per month. Personally I only have Skype running when I am expecting to receive or wanting to make a call.

tilly 2 25 Apr 12

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering if you know anything about gmail video calls if they work as peer 2 peer basis as skype does. Had a look but could not find info. Your second reply made interesting reading.

chub_tor 26 Apr 12

Sorry but I have no knowledge or experience of gmail video.

tilly 2 26 Apr 12
Answer

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I think gmail is p2p same as skype. I will do the same as you and only run skype when needed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message