spareroomgirl1 14:05 PM 06 Aug 12

hi there, once again asking for help. I have used skype for a long time - never any problems - until now. Logged on 2 days ago, it asked me to update it - so I did. Now I cannot log in or access skype. I use IE 9 and have skype 5.10, use Norton firewall and Norton internet securtiy. I have tried unistalling it and reinstalling, still does not work! When I atempt to login all I get is a circle going round and round. Pleast help. I need this.

beeuuem 14:08 PM 06 Aug 12

Have you tried doing a system restore to a time before the Skype update?

spareroomgirl1 14:24 PM 06 Aug 12

no, will try

Sea Urchin 14:41 PM 06 Aug 12

There are often conflicts with Norton Internet Security when updating Skype. The answer is usually to uninstall and re-install Norton rather than Skype.

But a system restore should remove the Skype update. Problem is it will probably update again before long.

beeuuem 23:23 PM 07 Aug 12

You are correct, Sea Urchin, in that Skype will ask to update though you don't have to let it. I use an 'old; version, it lets me have speed dial on my 'phone, and just ignore requests to update.

Sea Urchin 23:56 PM 07 Aug 12

beeuuem

The latest version of Skype 5.10.0.116 now allows you to turn off automatic updating. Tools - Options - Advanced - Automatic Updates - Turn off Automatic Updates and Save. If required it can be reversed.

spareroomgirl1 11:29 AM 08 Aug 12

Thanks everyone, sorted now, it was Norton. think I will turn off updating.

Sea Urchin 12:01 PM 08 Aug 12

Thanks for the feedback - glad it's sorted

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…