Granddad Ray 11:55 22 Feb 07

What on earth is SKYPE. Can you help a puzzled grandad?

anskyber 12:03 22 Feb 07

It's a number of things. At it's most basic it is a way of speaking and if you wish seeing anyone who also has Skype (usually only those you permit) to do so for free, yes free, from PC to PC.

skype also provide a telephone service which uses the PC to ring landlines and moblies but there is a charge for that service.

Pamy 12:39 22 Feb 07
  Technotiger 12:45 22 Feb 07

Skype is brilliant, all you need is a webcam and microphone, then as long as your contacts (relatives, friends etc) also have the same you can video chat to each other for hours and it will not cost a penny. I have helped a couple of pals set it up on their pc's and they have been able to see their grandchildren in the States and in Australia, 'live' for the first time. I talk to my son in Lanzarote regularly using Skype. (I am in UK, as are my pals.)

Superstylin 16:50 22 Feb 07

how is skype different from msn messenger in that respect? i've wondered that for a while!

anskyber 16:57 22 Feb 07

I have not used MSN Messenger but I have used Windows Messenger. I used WM with Skype for a while before uninstalling WM, it seemed less reliable and buggy in my experience.

Skype, for me at least has been stable and bug free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…