vliety 23:46 15 Jan 06

A friend of mine asked me to set her up on webcam through Skype.

Could you give me your thoughts on this? I intend to buy a Logitech webcam first of all then download the software is this the correct thing to do and are there any negatives to using this service? She wishes to use the webcam to contact her relatives who live overseas.....

Stuartli 00:00 16 Jan 06

You don't use a webcam to contact relatives who live overseas...:-)

Once the webcam is set up properly, the latest versions of Skype incorporate a video feature that allows immediate use of the webcam if required (it used to be Spontania4Skype, a third party offering).

The Skype panel includes a video "screen" on which you can see who you have contacted (f they also have a webcam) and a smaller version of your own webcam's output if you wish.

Stuartli 00:01 16 Jan 06

The Logitech webcam will come with its own software although a newer driver may be available on its website.

vliety 00:24 16 Jan 06

Thanks Stuart,

Call me old fashiond but I'm quite new to setting up a cam. Should be easy enough....famous last words!!

Is that your real name by the way? I used to know someone called Stuartli

Chegs ®™ 00:57 16 Jan 06

Not much use but there was also a plugin for Skype called Festoon to enable video chats.

Why not use a video camera to chat with relatives Stuartli?

I can see the benefits,but no negatives.

vliety 01:04 16 Jan 06

Thanks for your help good people!

Stuartli 15:03 16 Jan 06

That's a strange name for somebody to be called...:-)

It's a combination of my first name and initials...:-))

Chegs ®™

Why should I use a video camera to chat with relatives - apart from the fact I haven't got one, the webcam sits unobtrusively on top of my monitor.

The only problem involved with its use is the shock those at the other end get when they first see me...:-)

Stuartli 15:06 16 Jan 06

By the way (I presume its a USB webcam) install the software first before connecting the webcam.

Incidentally Festoon and Spontania4Skype have been overtaken by Skype's incorporation of video into its own software.

Chegs ®™ 15:16 16 Jan 06

lol:Stuartli,methinks you be pulling our legs a bit more.

"Why should I use a video camera to chat with relatives - apart from the fact I haven't got one (no relatives at all?) the webcam sits unobtrusively on top of my monitor."

Stuartli 16:10 16 Jan 06

..haven't got one.. is singular and, clearly, refers to a video camera - relatives is plural...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now