son-of-a-gun 23:15 05 Jun 04

Hi Anyone got any first hand knowledge of Skype
click here

Is it legal?
Made by looks like Kazaa which maybe worrying.
But I would be glad of first hand Exp users.

Son-of-a-gun

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:39 05 Jun 04

Sorry haven't used skype so this is not first hand advice...

Yes it is legal.

Yes it is made by Sharman who also made Kazaa. Sharman have asserted it is free of any nasties, but they also did this with Kazaa so don't know if this is true.

Apparentley (sp) this is the future of telecommunications but I can't see BT standing for it. They must be due for a huge loss in sales so will probably increase charges to ISPs to compensate or find a way to charge Sharman. One train of thought is it is better to get on the train now, before Sharman have to start charging also.

Sorry, nothing definitive here, but I hope t helps slightly.

Tas

helmetshine 03:46 06 Jun 04

I've used Skype for awhile now...not found anything nasty on my PC from it and i regularily run ad-aware and spybot...both updated as well
It is still a beta but not had any problems...but you can only make PC to PC calls at the moment....more functionality is going to be added but those features,when available,probably won't be free
I've found the sound quality to be quite good but it does use a fair amount of bandwidth as well.

anchor 08:17 06 Jun 04

Active link for Skype.

click here

johnnyrocker 09:04 06 Jun 04

no probs with it here and it is squeaky at this time but in the future?

johnny.

son-of-a-gun 09:15 06 Jun 04

Thanks all for your time, I may well give it a go, but was concerned about legality and spy-ware.

Stuartli 09:54 06 Jun 04

There have been numerous comments that the Skype quality is first class.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:24 06 Jun 04

I prefer to use Messenger as the sound quality in the latest version is excellent, you can send videos and most computers have it installed.

G

Daisy the BSE cow 07:43 21 Sep 04

I have been advised to try Skype by our local Business Enterprise centre, to overcome my lack of Broadband availability (rural) as Myself and some friends are setting up a support Forum, (people with ME) and need to be able to discuss, and see any problems.

So I'm hoping that if the "experts" say it's legal and clean, it is

Stuartli 13:37 21 Sep 04

Skype forum is at:

click here

Stuartli 13:40 21 Sep 04

According to those who run the Skype service: "Our ambition is to keep the basic functionality of Skype (PC to PC calls) free forever."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…