Sky Netgear router & Windows 98

Confused! 13:20 25 Oct 07

I have Sky broadband and have installed the standard Netgear router supplied to the main computer in the study. I can use the laptop to connect remotely. The problem I have is my daughter's somewhat ancient computer in her bedroom running Windows 98. There is a Belkin card installed and a green icon in the system tray showing an excellent connection. I still cannot get the internet. I think that is has something to do with the network key. The Sky one is 8 digits and the computer tells me the network password needs 40 bits or 104 bits depending on the network connection - entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10or 26 hexadecimal characters. Also, which other of the boxes do I need checked?

Please help.

dms05 18:03 25 Oct 07

It looks as if the computer is using WEP encryption whereas the Sky Netgear is using WPA. I seem to remember the Sky manual tells you how to downgrade to WEP. Take a look but remember WEP isn't as secure as WPA.

Ashrich 18:23 25 Oct 07

Select 128bit encryption ( 26 hexadecimal characters ) and add each PC using the netgear to the MAC filter for a bit of extra security . To change the security setting type 192.168.0.1 in to the address bar of your browser and you'll see the login page ( admin in admin , password in password ...I think ) and find the wireless set up page , you should be able to change things from there .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now