Sky Digital on my PC

E7 22:52 30 Aug 04

Actually I would like Sky on my PC. I've got a new MSI "Mega 180" with the optional PCI TV tuner card, (MS8606). Now this is not near my Sky Digi box, but is in fact at the end of a coaxial cable that was supplying an “upstairs” TV. I’m running the MSI Media Centre Deluxe III software, (which seems to work fine on all aspects except TV), on Windows XP Pro, (SP 2), all the latest drivers, Athlon XP 2100+ with 256Mb DDR. When I run the “AutoScan” in setting up the software, I just get a fuzzy picture for a second as it flicks through the channels where I think it’s trying to pick up “Sky”. Is it Sky’s “Videogaurd” working so I can’t record the programs? Not that I want to, I just want to use one monitor only in the bedroom, (and get rid of my TV). Please help, have I bought a pup? Or can we not watch Sky Digital through a capture card???? I guess I should have asked these questions before forking out 460Euro!! Thanks in advance, E7.

PS this was originally posted in Speakers Corner by mistake… sorry

woodchip 22:56 30 Aug 04

If you have no scart on the Graphics card how are you going to get a pic

dez fowler 22:58 30 Aug 04

Try pluggin a normal TV in upstairs to make sure it's not the cable that's dodgy. It should work fine going into the tuner card, it's the same as a TV.

Stuart Leyland 23:05 30 Aug 04

I'm relatively sure that it is the Videoguard encryption kicking in that is the root of the problem. As you suggest, it is to stop you recording them which is a bit pointless really because you can record to VCRs and DVD recorders. No idea why they don't let you record to your PC.

You should be able to watch and record the BBC channels on your PC though as they are Free To Air (FTA). There are a few other channels as well but I can't think what they are off the top of my head.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 23:17 30 Aug 04

i think i have seen a TV tuner card once on ebay it had a dongle for a scart connection.i think it was a all-in wonder im not sure.ben

Hi E7, by the sound of it there's nothing on the other end of your coax cable. If it had an aerial I would have thought that the scan should have picked up some TV stations. However, if the cable had been connected to the second output of your Sky box you should have picked up the usual channels, plus the Sky channel that was selected on the box downstairs, since the output from the box is at UHF it should be seen by the TV card as just another station.

bukkaz 23:46 30 Aug 04

The only problem I have enountere is that I can only get mono on my PC for SKY but stereo ok for the terrestrial channels. No problems recording SKY either to hard drive or direct to DVD.

bukkaz 23:46 30 Aug 04

The only problem I have enountere is that I can only get mono on my PC for SKY but stereo ok for the terrestrial channels. No problems recording SKY either to hard drive or direct to DVD.

bukkaz 23:47 30 Aug 04

Night Ryder 00:12 31 Aug 04

I have this setup working perfectly. Here's what I've done. I have the usul setup in my lounge doenstairs and my conputer in a spare room upstairs. The system is set up so I can pick up all the terestial channels and the Sky box via a single coaxial(aerial cable). I attach this cable to a Nicam stereo vido recorder in my computer room. Sits nicely under my pc for easy access. I have the video tuner set to select all terestial channels including the signal from my satelite box downstairs. The computer is attached to a scart addapter on the back of the video recorder. The adaptor has a scart on one end and the correct connectors for the Pc capture card and sound cards on the other end.

By simply selection the channel I wish to view/record via the video's tuner I can record all terestiol channels as well as whatever I set the sky box to on the PC. Perfect picture and stereo sond on all channels.
Hop this helps?

E7 00:38 31 Aug 04

Night Ryder that is just what I needed to hear, a working solution, great! Of course I'll have to run out and get a cheap, (small), VCR. But if that's what it takes then so be it. I still don't understand why we can't just put the coaxial into the capture card? I mean the VCR isn't de-scrambling the Videogaurd, or is it?

FizziKs, yes mate, I've got a perfect picture coming through the coaxial cable, (the second TV out from the Digi box). Just nothing on the PC. I'm going to have to borrow an indoor aerial to test the card for terestial reception. I don't know what would be worse, finding out I have a "dead" card or having to buy a small VCR. Thanks guys. If you have any more thoughts on this please feel free to post them.

PS Top marks to this forum from a Nubie ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…