sky broadband wireless connection problem.

inapot69 18:16 26 Mar 09

hello agin, i am having problems with my system, i have a black sky wireless router which i initially was getting around 6mbps to my pc via a netgear wirelss adapter. all of a sudden i am getting around 650kbps from it. my wife has a laptop wifi enabled and that is getting around 6658kbps.
so obviously the problem lies with the connection with the router and the pc upstairs.
i have contacted sky and they have been helpful with suggestion in redard of changing channels and not using the silver extention cable with the router. all their suggestions i have tried but to no avail.
my wife still gets over 6.5mb but i still 600kbps.
is it the wireless adapter? if so would i be getting anything at all?
i really dont know.
please any ideas would be greatly appreciated
oh and please bear in mind ...too tech and you will lose me..
i have xp home sp3
around 70gb spare hs space
2gb ddr2 ram
amd athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor
4200+2.21ghz
nvidia 8500gt card
please help

omer1981 01:27 27 Mar 09

hi,first of all,i dont know this router and i will tell you my idea ...the best router is linksys and it's safe...now your problem is not very big ,,,and dont worry it will not slow the internet connection it's just for transferring by pc to pc and that's will be slow but the internet no

inapot69 10:20 27 Mar 09

is this the full message?
i dont understand?

2neat 07:13 28 Mar 09

part of Sky't T&C is that you use their configured router supplied.
As for the other part of your post ???

2neat 07:15 28 Mar 09

try looking ar this click here

inapot69 09:05 28 Mar 09

looking at the icons on my task bar i am getting these results:
wireless network connection :
speed: 54mbps.
strength; excellent.
and the netgear WPN111 smart wizard wireless assistant gives this info.
speed: 54mbps
strength: 7 out of eight lights lit, so excellent strength.
this makes me believe that i am getting the speed and the problem must lie with my PC
i have avast free anti virus; and ad aware.
any ideas?

inapot69 09:07 28 Mar 09

also i have sent an e-mail to sky and they have replied saying they have checked my connection and it seems to be around 8mbps
they have given me advice to change channels form the router and i have tried all their recommended channels, all with no luck.
so i seem to be stuck.

inapot69 14:14 28 Mar 09

Hello again
Thanks for all your help
I have sorted it..
I hope!
I had avast anti virus installed and I had a 90 day trial of ad-aware anniversary edition (which included a anti virus that I didn't know about)
I uninstalled avast and still had slow download speed....
But I then optimised my connection with ashampoo winoptimiser 5 and it boosted my speed up to a respectable 4.5mbps
So again thanks for your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…