SKY Broadband Problems

A_J 13:46 08 Nov 07

I have Sky broadband at home and for some as yet unknown reason(s) as of Tuesday it has decided to only allow some websites to work and those that do work they are very slow.

Sky support have been unable to offer any solutions (after two hours on the phone) and they say that all their equipment is working ok and are not wiling to sent a replacement modem.

Sky suggestd a Trogan may be to blame.

Rebooting all equipment does not work.

Virus scanning (using Norton and McAfee) has revealed no problems.

I have two PCs at home and they are both affected which leads me to believe it must be a problem with the modem or network settings.

If anyone has got any suggestions for a cause or a solution or knows anyone that might be able to shed some light on this I would be extremely grateful.

RobCharles1981 13:51 08 Nov 07

"Virus scanning (using Norton and McAfee) has revealed no problems".

If I stand correct do you have Norton and Mcafee installed on you PC, you shouldn't have 2 Antivirus installed only one.

Rob

A_J 13:55 08 Nov 07

I have two PCs, Norton on one and McAfee on the other. Both PCs have the same connection problem. Neither anti virus software picks up any problem on the respective PCs.

RobCharles1981 14:18 08 Nov 07

Have you tried rebooting the router?

Dipso 14:32 08 Nov 07

Is this a wired connection or wireless?

If you feel the router is too blame, do you have another you could test the connection with?

A_J 14:32 08 Nov 07

Yep tried rebooting and tried resetting using button on back

A_J 14:36 08 Nov 07

The modem is also the router. One PC is connected by an ethernet cable the other connects wirelessly. Both PC's have the same problem. Google sites, ebay, facebook will not load but sites like Lloysds TSB and and Egg load up but relativly slowly.

dms05 14:45 08 Nov 07

Have you tried unplugging the network cable and using the WiFi alone (and the reverse by turning the WiFi off).

Do you use Windows to configure your connections - ie the default Sky settings - or the software that came with your WiFi dongle?

jh1885 13:04 09 Nov 07

join the queue

Dipso 13:40 09 Nov 07

Do you have any other means of testing the connection, another modem or router?

A_J 10:40 12 Nov 07

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

It turns out as far is I can tell that the problems were caused by SKY although they will not admit it, but our broadband sudenly started working again without altering anythin our end!

aparently they have been upgrading/itegrating eamil account with google and i suspect that this was to blame.

It's a shame that SKY couldn't just say that instead of blaming my computer equipment, which if i had believed them could have been quite costly in investing in more virus software or even considering buying anew PC.

Weridly though the broadband seems to be working reaaly fast now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…