Sky Broadband - Keeps Dropping Out

shazza65 19:21 22 Jul 07

Have just switched over to Sky coz I though Virgin was naff, boy I was wrong. For some reason Sky keeps on dropping out. I have a limited window so hope I can finish this thread before I it drops out.

I have searched previous threads regarding this and changed my firewall from ZoneAlarm to Comodo coz it seems ZoneAlarm was causing probs for some bods. It seems Comodo is not much better.

Does anyone know why Sky keeps dropping out?

Have I made a huge mistake in going with sky??

I have no problems with sky and use Zonelarm , I would just try reinstalling it and if it still persist contact sky about it. If you have only just joined them it can take the line upto 3 weeks to go to full speed depending on numerous settings.

shazza65 19:53 22 Jul 07

What are the numerous settings? We have only had it just over a week. I have changed the ADSL filter boxes around so that all three have been used with the modem. I am still connected at the moment which I am totally surprised about, however, some days it constantly drops out. Just want to know why does it do this??

QuizMan 20:14 22 Jul 07

I do not think that ZoneAlarm is the problem. I had a similar problem when I switched to Sky. There are a couple of that I've found that have improved my connection.

Firstly, reboot the router at about 9pm, when web activity is at it's heaviest. I'm not sufficiently technically minded to know why, but it has something to do with noise levels on your phone line being at their worst at this time. Rebooting compensates for this.

Secondly, disable UPnP. Log in to your router and click on UPnP in the left hand pane. This brings up a screen where there is is toggle button to switch UPnp on or off. Once again, no idea why this works, but it helped me. Good luck.

Dipso 21:45 22 Jul 07

It's possible that your line can't handle the speed of your connection. When this happens Sky tend to cap the speed at a lower rate in order to stabilise the line.

2neat 06:08 23 Jul 07

click here Stick with it. I had lots of probs wireless & found this site a godsend. I managed eventually to setup their router & hardly have any probs now.
I even managed to get my Belkin router to work on sky connection! Its up the loft now, ready for a rainy day (we had plenty of those) LOL.
Good luck

Spitfire111 08:10 22 Sep 07

I have been with Sky BB for a month, everything was great at first. But this week it has been an absolute pain in the neck, my next door neighbour to the left has the same problem. But my neighbour to the right has no problems at all and can connect whenever they want. Apparently Sky engineers are INVESTIGATING and that;s all I get when I call. The helpline is no use either, I am not impresssed and I'm beginning to wish I had never gone near Sky. I am having to check e-mails from work at the moment. Steer clear of them for the moment.

Graham. 08:41 22 Sep 07

See if there is any help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac