Sky Broadband Help

RJack 17:15 06 Nov 07

Hi I have just obtained Sky Broadband but i am having difficulty setting this up.

The problem is the router is downstairs & the pc is upstairs. I'm not quite sure what i have to do as i the ethernet cable isn't long enough to plug in upstairs.

I do have a Belkin Wireless Adapter & also my laptop has a wireless adapter. Do i need to plug the computers into the ethernet cable before i can go wireless?

Do i need an ethernet cable (yellow cable) if i have wireless adapters.

I was set up with Virgin prior & the network was set up on my girlfriends laptop by Virgin. She had a Virgin modem which was connected to a Linksys router.

As i understand it this isn't possible with Sky as there router is also a modem so would be required to be next to a phone point.

Sorry for the questions

daxian 17:33 06 Nov 07

hi rjack...
dont be sorry, this is what the site is all about .
we are here to help .
you will need to use the ethernet cable (yellow) for the first time to do all the settings .
but if you have wireless adapters for all the pc's once the initial setup is done you can go fully wireless .
might i suggest you use the laptop to do the initial set-up ,using the ethernet cable as this will make it easy for you to be near the router/phone socket.
with the sky router there is not really a lot of setting up to do as most of the settings are built in
(username password)wpa security is already setup as well.
Dave...

daxian 17:42 06 Nov 07

hi again ..
set up the upstairs pc with the belkin adapter software then check for wireless signal from your router input the wpa key (comes with the router on a card ) and see if you can connect ...
once connected and internet available ,remove the ethernet cable from the laptop and see if you can pick up wireless with that once again use the wpa key to login to the connection ....job done ..any problems we are here to help...Dave.

rodriguez 23:26 06 Nov 07

You should have had a card with the SSID and WEP key printed on it (should also be printed on the bottom of the router). Plug in your router by the phone point and switch it all on so it connects to the broadband and then plug your wireless adapter into the computer. It should say that it's detected a new wireless network and you should select the one that matches the SSID that's printed on the card and bottom of the router. When it tries to connect it should ask for the key - you then type in the WEP key, then type it again in the second box to confirm and it should connect without needing to plug it in with any wires. It will remember these settings so next time the computer and router are switched on, it connects automatically.

dms05 12:03 07 Nov 07

Agree with rodriguez. The Sky equipment comes set up for WiFi with WPA enabled. All I needed to do was plug the Sky equipment into the 240v and the BT line via a microfilter and it all worked. You only need to access the Router set up if you want to change anything (ie SSID, Password or WPA).

By default the Sky equipment is secure and you can go ahead and select the WiFi network and enter the password as printed on the card supplied with the router (and also the label on the underside of the router).

It's the easiest set up I've ever had!

RJack 13:14 07 Nov 07

Hi

Many thanks for all your responses. I will try this tonight. I am currently without a connection so i've only been able to read the resonses today from work.

I'll keep you updated. Many thanks again

RJack

RJack 11:57 08 Nov 07

Hey all,

Many thanks for the advice i have now managed to get connected to sky broadband including wirelessly however i've now developed another fault.

The phoneline in the house have become very crackly & when people phone me i can hardly hear them if at all.

Also this seems to disconnect my connection to Sky also. Have i done something wrong?

Many thanks again

So Afraid 13:22 08 Nov 07

Have you put microfilters on the phone socket,because you should have one on all that are in use.

RJack 13:26 08 Nov 07

I've connected microfilters to 2 telephone points but i haven't connect to the 3rd as this point doesn't work. Should i connect one there anyway?

So Afraid 15:38 08 Nov 07

Only phone points that are in use need a filter,including the one which the sky box is using if you have sky.

RJack 16:23 08 Nov 07

Thanks again will check tonight.

Just out of curiosity does it make a difference if i connected the broadband router to the phoneline which uses my sky box upstairs rather than to the main phoneline point downstairs?

I am getting a wireless connection on both pc's Laptop signal is excellent (which is what i installed the software on) & the desktop is getting a very good signal?

As said the only problem i'm having is crackly line where i can just hear or not at all & loss of connection. Would this also influence the problem?

Many thanks once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple