Sky Broadband

thumbscrew 22:48 21 Oct 08

Anyone on Sky who can help woth my daughter's connection? They've just had it installed, but when they try to connect the modem up, it says" Connected" yet no web pages will load. They've tried disconnecting the firewall.

Crash 00:22 22 Oct 08

Can you ping anything? Go to start - run and type cmd then press enter. When the window opens type ping click here and see if it responds.

thumbscrew 00:37 22 Oct 08

Thanks Crash, she told me a little while back that it came on fleetingly and then vanished again. She lives in London, not with me and I think she's turned in now.I've texted her your instructions and I'll repost with the outcome. Any more help will be gratefully received.

mgmcc 09:06 22 Oct 08

Is she using a router and trying to connect "wirelessly"?

If so, has she "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, has she run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches her router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? She should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and she should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to the Wireless network.

^wave^ 09:28 22 Oct 08

go to network conections and see what is conected.
if they get a conected message then they have probably got conection to the router, in the box that this comes in sky supply a card with the encryption key on it i assume they have used this to get conected.
also sky will give you a date that the service will start on check that also as you will not conect until that date

thumbscrew 23:21 23 Oct 08

Thanks ^wave^, mgmcc and Crash.Apologies for delay in replying, she's been away a few days. Returned home tonight and...at the moment she's connected, unsure if it will remain on, but keeping her fingers crossed. Can't understand why it's on...nothing new done to it??? Thanks again all.

reddwarfcrew 23:52 23 Oct 08

if you have more problems, then try the forums at click here as there loads of useful hints and tips over there.

thumbscrew 23:57 23 Oct 08

Very helpful reddwarfcrew, many thanks pal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…