sky by broadband

mad1234 14:31 22 Jun 06

has anyone tried installing sky by broadband?
i keep getting a message "the wizard was interrupted before sky by broadband could be completly installed"
i have checked the specs give & i have more than the minimum requirements. can anyone help?

Dipso 14:54 22 Jun 06

It installed OK for me eventually, after a couple of Windows Media Player updates and a reboot.

You could try downloading the installer again click here

If this doesn't help why not email them using the link given.

rodriguez 15:01 22 Jun 06

I installed that and it went through without problems. However sometimes the login goes a bit stupid and won't sign in until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Try updating Media Player because the downloads are in WMV format and are highly compressed - a whole 90 min film is only around 450 MB. Don't try to burn films on DVD though to keep - this is a waste of time because they are DRM protected and won't load in any software except ones that are designed to play WMV videos only, such as Windows Media Player. There is also a time limit of about a month before they no longer play and delete themselves.

mad1234 15:35 22 Jun 06

thanks i will let you know how i get on

joethebow 17:43 22 Jun 06

Just a point. If you have Sky on Brodband in the UK but don't own a television you still need a television licence according to the licencing authority. This is an extract from their website:

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

Dipso 20:37 22 Jun 06

Must admit, I found the choice of films uninspiring...I will probably do the same.

fitshase 23:21 22 Jun 06

<<<<<Just a point. If you have Sky on Brodband in the UK but don't own a television you still need a television licence according to the licencing authority. This is an extract from their website:

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.>>>>>>

You can only get Sky on Broadband if you subscribe to Sky Digital. Therefore, you must have a TV/Sky Dish and Box at home.

Also, you do not need a TV licence for your PC if it does not have a TV card installed. Sky by Broadband is streamed over the internet and therefore a TV licence is not required just for that. It is like the TV Licensing people saying you need a TV licence to watch the world cup stream on the BBC website. This is untrue.

Fitshase

fitshase 13:14 23 Jun 06

ßéLâ
Thu, [email protected]:51

"Sky by Broadband is streamed over the internet"

Not

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Taken from the Sky Broadband page:-

Movies must be downloaded in full before you can begin to play them. However, some short sports videos have the option to play directly from Sky by broadband without the need to download first.

If you are not required by Sky to have a TV card in your PC, how else will you receive the videos by BROADBAND?

mad1234 07:23 24 Jun 06

i think i have found my problem. they give you a link to download WMP10 & it gives you WMP11 beta which is apparently not supported by sky by broadband. i have tried to uninstall this to go bace to my original copy so i can get WMP10 but WMP11 keep coming back. any ideas anyone?

fitshase 10:25 24 Jun 06

<<<<Ahh.. Exactly "Movies must be downloaded in full before you can begin to play them. However, SOME short sports videos have the option to play directly from Sky by broadband without the need to download first."

Sky Movies are not streamed.>>>>>

Therefore Sky by Broadband IS streamed over the internet. I did not make the distinction between Sky Movies and Sky Sports - I was informing people that, as the service (whether that is the whole or part) is streamed you do not need a TV licence. Everyone knows you don't need a TV licence for watching downloaded media.

mad1234 -

You could try a system restore in Windows XP to roll the system back to a time before you installed WMP11.

Regards

Fitshase

mad1234 10:40 24 Jun 06

THANKS I WILL TRY THAT. DON'T HAVE MY LAPTOP WITH ME. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…