Sizing photographs for wide screen TV?

Fay2 11:58 01 Jul 07

I have all my old photographs on CDs to watch on TV and didn't seem to have a problem until I went wide screen!! Landscape pictures are OK but Portrait are squashed up to fit the screen top and bottom making everyone look small and fat ....not a good look.

I've looked back on old posts to see if I can find anything to help ..but no luck.

Can anyone please explain what size I should now make them to stop this?
Thanks
Fay.

Gongoozler 12:18 01 Jul 07

Hi Fay. It is a very simple process, but you do need to have a picture editing program that will let you mask a section of the picture. You will either have to cut away part of the top or bottom (or both) of the picture, or (a bit more complicated) add a blank area at the sides. What you have to end up with is a picture with the same width to height ratio as your screen.

Gongoozler 12:21 01 Jul 07

I don't know if it will do the job, but Gimp is popular click here

Fay2 12:47 01 Jul 07

thanks so much ..... never thought altering the canvas and blacking the sides ...... brilliant ...
I'll leave this open for a while and have a go

thanks again ..... will also look at Gimp
Fay

Fay2 13:24 01 Jul 07

This may be simple to you Gongoozler ..... my mind's boggling already....... lol.

I have Photoshop ... and my TV (according to the book) is 1,366 x 768 ...... I've been into anamorphics and god knows what ....... trying to work it out ... I think it's going to be a case of trial and error !! ...... 'til I get it right.

I now know I should have made all my pics the same size, it would have mad life easier ..... funny how the computer works it out on the screen but the TV can't ...

Thanks
Fay

hssutton 15:27 01 Jul 07

All you need do is resize your portrait images in Photoshop. Go to "Image">>"Image Size".

If you find that your landscape images fill the screen ok, check what the height setting is and then make all your portrait images the same height. Also make sure that you select "Constrain Proportions" at the bottom left of the Image Size box.

Quiet Life 16:20 01 Jul 07

You can do them all at once in Batch processing if you drop them into a separate folder-

Fay2 16:42 01 Jul 07

thanks hs and Quiet Life.

hs .... I know how to resize and keep constraints .... the trouble is that some of the photographs have been scanned at different resolutions and appear smaller, while some are massive. I think I'll have to do a course in resolution and sizing.
I've just done another disc, (after altering) but it's not much better, I think I had my width canvas too big, I've just measured the screen of the tele with tape ...... nothing like the old ways. all my heights were the same but it 'pushed' the pictures in.

the 'batch' idea sounds good but do they have to be all the same size to start with and scanned at the same resolution? I'll look at that.

thanks again, it's nice to have someone to talk to, stops me pulling out my hair.
Fay
Don't have all this trouble with my digi' pictures ..... off to have another go

Fay2 16:42 01 Jul 07

thanks hs and Quiet Life.

hs .... I know how to resize and keep constraints .... the trouble is that some of the photographs have been scanned at different resolutions and appear smaller, while some are massive. I think I'll have to do a course in resolution and sizing.
I've just done another disc, (after altering) but it's not much better, I think I had my width canvas too big, I've just measured the screen of the tele with tape ...... nothing like the old ways. all my heights were the same but it 'pushed' the pictures in.

the 'batch' idea sounds good but do they have to be all the same size to start with and scanned at the same resolution? I'll look at that.

thanks again, it's nice to have someone to talk to, stops me pulling out my hair.
Fay
Don't have all this trouble with my digi' pictures ..... off to have another go

hssutton 22:40 01 Jul 07

Fay as you are downsizing the varying resolutions will not be a problem

Quiet Life 23:04 01 Jul 07

With batch processing you have the option to select a resolution to nake all the pictures the same resolution as well as selecting a picture size. It leaves the originals and creates additional new ones at the required resolution and size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…