Size of Virtual Memory ?

freaky 10:48 29 Jun 05

Recently received the following Windows message "Virtual Memory Size too low, Windows is re-sizing the amount of Virtual Memory".

Checked the size of the Virtual Memory and it is set at an initial size of 768 MB, and can have a maximum of 1536 MB. The PC has 512 MB of Ram.

Any recommendations for the settings please ? Using Windows XP Home edition.

SANTOS7 11:10 29 Jun 05

click here
some useful info here, I have mine set at 768 for both values (never had any probs) i also have my page file set on a seperate partition.
there are a lot of arguements for and against these theories, sound advice would be to try different settings until you are happy with your PCs performance,i hope this helps,good luck...

Stuartli 11:12 29 Jun 05

Some advise to keep the maximum figure at one-and-a-half times the actual amount of RAM, so 768MB should prove sufficient.

However, the general rule is to let XP configure the setting itself (as it has done in your case).

Virtual Memory is an overflow system and the best way to assist XP is to increase the amount of physical RAM available.

freaky 11:16 30 Jun 05

Many thanks for all your replies. Have just ordered 2 x 512MB of RAM from Crucial. That will give a total of 1.5GB of memory.....should keep Windows happy for a while!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…