size of hdd, and missing paste?

blowworm 21:03 12 Jan 03
  blowworm 21:03 12 Jan 03

hI.
MY computer is an amdk6/2 350, the control panel says the hdd is 30gb, it is a maxtor 40gb. this has only come about recently it used to say 40gb. Also the processor fan was loose when i bought it(second hand)I clipped it back in, but have read somewhere there should be paste somewhere there? Will it hurt without? And any ideas on the first question.
Thanks,
James

The PC Doctor 21:21 12 Jan 03

Re-Hard Drive do you know how to go into your BIOS ? If you do set to Auto detect. This should detect the full 40gig.

The paste goes between the fan and the top of the CPU to make a good heat conductive connection. Try installing a CPU temperature monitoring software - if the temp stays low then all is well if it goes too high then you need paste. If it's any indication my AMD 1.4 overclocked to 1.6 runs at 55 to 60 Deg C.

Djohn 21:28 12 Jan 03

The PC Doctor, just a slight correction to your post. the paste goes between the CPU and the Heatsink, not the fan. The fan then sits on top of the Heatsink without any paste.

Some Heatsinks come with a small piece of tape on the base and these do not require any extra paste. Regards, J.

The PC Doctor 21:30 12 Jan 03

picky picky - lol

Forum Editor 21:31 12 Jan 03

you use the thermal paste, make sure you don't overdo it - too much paste can actually make things worse. Use a thin layer, and make sure it sits neatly over the CPU when you clip the fan back into position - try not to wiggle the fan casing about after the clip is secured.

WaTcHiNg 21:31 12 Jan 03

If you go into BIOS and change the size of disk it's possible that your PC will not be able to see the disk correctly and you may end up re-installing Windows and all your progs. Make sure you back everthing up first.

blowworm 21:33 12 Jan 03

hI ,
tHANKS FOR THE HELP, THINK I WILL LEAVE THE BIOS AS ME AND THEM DONT SEEM TO AGREE! DJOHN, wHATS A HEAT SINK, I HAVE JUST CLIPPED THE FAN BACK ON TOP OF A THING LOOKING A BIT LIKE A MIRROR NOTHING ELSE?
JAMES

Ironman556 21:41 12 Jan 03

Is it possible the jumpers could have become lose? My BIOS refuses to see my 60 gig drive when the jumper is not connected (Full drive capacity),and won't boot, but when I set the jumper to limit the drive to 32 the BIOS autodetects and the PC boots into Windows fine, and displays 60Gb avaliable.

Djohn 21:43 12 Jan 03

click here and have a read, this will explain all and show photographs as well, if still not sure, post back.

The PC Doctor, sorry didn't mean it to look that way, but if you read the first post from blowworm, he does feel a little unsure of what to do. Regards, J.

The PC Doctor 21:53 12 Jan 03

blowworm

I wouldn't get too worried about any paste between your CPU and heatsink/fan most CPU's of your speed would work quite well without. Obviously the best way to sort things out would be to use the paste.

Just to clarify - the fan sits on/in the heatsink which looks like a lump of aluminium with fins on, which is clipped to plastic hooks either side of your CPU. Which bit did you clip back on ?

Djohn

No offence taken, he used fan so I did - you are right though, paste does go between the heatsink & CPU. Besides the insides of your PC gets all sticky if you put it under the FAN.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…