Size

gell 15:54 15 Apr 04

Servers charge according to the size of thw web site. Is there any way of calculating this.
Thanks
Gell

Taran 16:47 15 Apr 04

Are you sure they aren't charging for bandwidth use, which is a measurement of the amount of megabytes of files that are transferred between the web server and the computers that are viewing the site.

As an example, if you have a page that is 5kb but it has a 1mb image on it, every time someone views the page they could use up just over 1mb of bandwidth, depending on whether it is a direct page request or whether they get a cached copy. If you have a high traffic site and 10,000 people request that same page in a day, you can use up a lot of bandwidth.

I've never seen a web host charge for the size of your site, although most do place a maximum site size limit of 10, 25, 50 or 100 megabytes or so. Most hosts are far more concerned with your bandwidth use than the physical size of the site.

put your cursor over the folder containing your website on you local harddrive and the size is given in the tooltip that pops up

gell 09:51 16 Apr 04

Thanks horiz5.That solved it
gell

I'm glad I could help but I'm sure Taran is right, it does seem like a very odd way for a host to charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…