Sites retaining click through URL info

Marsh Warden © ™ 17:36 26 Jun 06

How is it that some sites retain info on URL's clicked through. What I mean is, if I click on a link, it goes through, then when I visit the page again, the link retains the purple colour, to show that I have clicked on the link previously.

This happens despite using software to completely erase all surfing history and cookies at every browser close and restart of the PC.

I have installed, and use HistoryKill, Evidence Blaster and have also user CC Cleaner.

As my IP Address is dynamically assigned, and therefore different every time I log on, where and how is this information retained om my PC. This happens on various sites, including MS sites (Knowledge Base, MP Player etc)

Any ideas please

woodchip 17:40 26 Jun 06

The software you are using on clears them after you have done surfing not while you are using it

Marsh Warden © ™ 17:54 26 Jun 06

Thanks for the reply, I should of explained better, this happens even after a reboot, indeed it happens even if there is a couple of days between visits to the sites mentioned.

Also for further info I use AVG Pro, Ad Aware, Spybot S&D, A2, and as stated cCleaner. All are up to date and report a clean system. As this has been happening for some time, system restore is also not a viable option.

Any other ideas?

VoG II 17:56 26 Jun 06

Have you tried CleanUp! click here

Once you have run it it will prompt you to reboot to complete the cleaning process.

Marsh Warden © ™ 18:20 26 Jun 06

Just downloaded and tried CleanUp, but still no change after a Standard Clean.

Any more ideas please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch