Site submission.

Spock1958 09:07 30 May 06

I realise that this has been discussed before, but I haven't found the answer I'm after. I have produced the first working version of my website for wedding photography [url=click here]Here[/url]

Now I want people to see it, particularly those looking for a wedding photographer in Lancashire, but avoiding anywhere outside the UK. There appears to be dozens of organisations offering site submission, but which are genuine and which are scams? I don't understand HTML very well and don't have the inclination to learn lots of coding techniques. For example, I tried the method described by Google for building a site map etc. and just gave up because I was getting in too deep. If I can pay a reasonable amount and get a good result, that is all I ask.

Any comments on the website welcome also.

PurplePenny 13:04 30 May 06

Don't forget yell.com click here. That's where I would look for a local business, not Google, and I always look at the ones with web sites first.

There are also many online local business directories.

PurplePenny 13:20 30 May 06

John's suggestions about the use of heading tags will also make your site more accessible. You need to add alt attributes to your images for accessibility too.

Spock1958 13:53 30 May 06

Thanks very much for the advuce. I'm afraid I've no idea what <h1> <h2> <p> tags are, so I'll have to look these terms up. I also thought a home page had so be called 'index' (shows how much I know), so more research there.

I did get an email from Google for my other personal website, but really struggled to work out how to create a site map from their info.

btw, Lancashire is my adopted 'professional' name, as I use it on forums and found I like the sound of it. My own name is more suited to retirement homes an freemasons.

Spock1958 19:04 30 May 06

I have changed the index page title as suggested and replaced many of the "I" with PLP. I will look at the google stuff when my brain is more active.

My Google hit is entitled "Last Updated: May 21, 2006" which is the last wording on the page. Do I conclude that the last text on the page creates the title, or am I barking up the wrong tree. My name in the title is an image rather than text because the font I wanted would not display on some computers. How important is this?

I'm still not sure about the <h> tags though.

I will also look at Yell.

ade.h 19:19 30 May 06

Browser-safe fonts are pretty important. As is the heirarchy of your <h> tags. Google for broswer safe fonts and you'll find lists for different platforms. They are quite short unfortunately; in an ideal world, no-one would use Win9x any more and we could all use a wider range of XP fonts, but that's wishful thinking for a few years yet.

Spock1958 06:40 31 May 06

I'm using Macromedia Contribute to build the site. It is very basic as software goes, but does at least allow me to build the site without any html knowledge. though I am slowly picking up a few html skills.

I used a basic template to start with, which had nothing but 2 empty cells, a line at the bottom and the "last updated....." text. Any <h> tabs have been put there by the software.

PurplePenny 19:14 01 Jun 06

In the text toolbar at the top there should be a box which says 'Normal' (to the left of the font name and font size drop downs). That is a drop down and if you click it you will be offered Heading 1, Heading 2 etc..

Here's a tutorial on Contribute:
click here

Spock1958 19:47 01 Jun 06

I never connected the 'headings' in the drop down list with <h> tags, but now I know. I've not looked at the tutorial yet, but I'm sure it will be useful.

It's a big learning curve for an oldie like me, but the new knowledge is very satisfying when I see it in action.

pj123 19:19 02 Jun 06

Don't have any answers to your questions but the first thing I noticed on your site:

Home page: first paragraph: last line: "allowing you you be relaxed"

"you you"????

Spock1958 19:59 02 Jun 06

First person in 50-odd to spot that. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…