Site Search Engine Software

Bobby14 17:14 15 Apr 04

Can anyone recommend/suggest a reliable site search engine facility, doesn't have to be free. the site is 20,000 pages +, so must be robust and reliable. Already looked at google powered search, abit too expensive

fatjacK 10:06 17 Apr 04

dunno if this'll be any good click here

Taran 10:49 17 Apr 04

All underlying databases have a search ability if you know how to implement it. Since the content is in data fields it is searchable, so you could code your own search engine with little effort, assuming you want an internal boolean keyword search.

Without knowing whether you're on MySQL, Access, MS SQL or whatever, I can't offer an easy, off the top of my head solution.

Please don't tell me that it's a 20,000+ page static site.

There are some pretty good third party, independantly hosted engines like Picosearch click here and there are more free and paid for search scripts than you can shake a stick at in any language of your choice.

Hotscripts click here lists a ton in PHP, ASP, CGI/Perl, remotely hosted, C++, Java, JavaScript and so on. Go to their site and use this as your search query, selecting the option to search in all categories:

site search

It would help a lot to know the server platform the site is running on and the features you have available from the web host.

barryoneoff.co.uk 12:12 17 Apr 04

freefind is quite good. I use it on my bricabrac site. If you are constantly uploading new items you just get it to go over the site again to update searches.

HighTower 16:30 27 Apr 04

I use atomz search, which is excellent, easy to set up and free!

What more could you ask for?

click here

HighTower 22:47 17 May 04

Taran, if you are around can you offer some advice?

I'm working through php and mySQL and getting pleasing results, but I'm after a fairly accurate search facility that will operate from words or phrases inputted by the user rather than fixed drop down menus offering choices.

Site will be written using php, with data in a mySQL database but hosted by a third party, not my own server. I've previously used Atomz search as in the post above, but wondered where to start if I wanted to make my own.

Thanks.

Taran 23:00 17 May 04

As long as your site is fully data driven, that is, the page content text is held in and pulled from your MySQL database to populate your pages, you could take advantage of the fulltext search abilites of MySQL.

It's a fantastic way of implementing a very accurate site search facility using single or multiple keywords, phrase(s) and so on. Because it is fulltext search it does just that and you can output your search results to include snippets of the word/phrase match, the page title it belongs to as well as a link to it.

Check out the MySQL user manual for fulltext search click here and sites like PHP Builder for articles along these lines click here

There are limitations and quirks to the fulltext search capabilities of MySQL but if you use it carefully you can implement a pinpoint accurate sitewide search engine.

The web has a ton of resources available on the subject but if you get stuck on specifics feel free to ask.

HighTower 11:47 18 May 04

Great! Thanks for the links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…