is this site safe to order from?

toon_mad 10:30 10 Dec 08

Ive been looking at atx cases and found this beauty, i added to my basket and was about to enter my details when i noticed the page was not secure:

Add a case from click here to your basket then proceed to checkout (obviously dont buy the item!) - is it a reputable company?

cheers

toon_mad 10:38 10 Dec 08

the site is advancetech in rochdale, i emailed them about the SSL.

toon_mad 10:40 10 Dec 08

update: on there click here page, at the bottom it says secured by thawte, well i dont get https or the ssl lock in my opera page

tullie 11:08 10 Dec 08

Not aware of the company,but if the sites not secure then i wouldent be ordering,even if the company itself is ok.Others may advise you better.

woodchip 11:23 10 Dec 08

The lock should show on the page when you are asked for details, if not I would steer clear

Batch 11:34 10 Dec 08

Some sites still persist in using third party security that is downloaded as part of the webpage (and so do not use the built in browser security capabilities where you see the padlock as part of the browser itself)

The problem with this approach is that it is very difficult for joe public to really tell whether they are secure or not. It's no good just relying on the website telling you that it is secure - how do you know they are telling the truth!

toon_mad 12:06 10 Dec 08

thanks for the comments, thing is i know they say if its too good to be true, then it probably is but this is the only site ive seen with a case that has everything i want, and with a 500w psu

as of now they have not emailed back, if they dont get back by tomorrow then they must be somewhat dodgee.

in the mean time is there anyway i can verify they are reputable?

cheers all

Rahere 12:20 10 Dec 08

I took a look click here the company exists since 2007, no accounts filed yet.

If you are worried don't do it but if you go for it make sure you pay with a credit card or with debit card use Visa for payment protection - the card co will refund your money as they are jointly liable.

toon_mad 12:22 10 Dec 08

i would use lloyds tsb visa direct debit - im going to wait a few hours or until tomorrow see if they get back.

cheers

Stuartli 13:29 10 Dec 08

The only e-mail address appears to be for Technical Services - the phone number for Sales is 0870 777 3786 and there is no alternative listed at saynoto0870.com

Stuartli 13:30 10 Dec 08

McAfee Site Advisor reports no problems with the website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now