Site feedback

Ben Avery 16:15 10 Nov 03

G'day all

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my redesigned site from you guys and galls.

Old site = click here

New site = click here

Cheers

BA

Patr100 17:52 10 Nov 03

In the new site as in the old there is a slight but annoying delay as the text is initially readable against the dark grey background until what appears to be a jpeg loads behind the text so it is readable.I don't really see the point of this.Why not just make the background lighter from the start so the text can be read almost immediately . You need to minimise initial loading time. The jpeg isn't a particularly file but I don't see how you need it if you make the entire background lighter.

By the way, on your old site the strikethrough line on "wedding plans" looks a bit ominous! I hope the forum doesn't drive a wedge between you and your future spouse!

Patr100 17:56 10 Nov 03

Mean to say: The jpeg isn't a particularly large file.

Ben Avery 18:42 10 Nov 03

Wedding plans was removed as I hadn't had a chance to work on it - If I get it sorted nearer the time (Next August - presents welcome;o)!!!) then I'll add it.

The load time problem is being sorted, mostly it is due to an exceptionally slow server so cannot be helped. The lighter background idea would ruin the overall appearance of the Dead Sea Scroll text of the table images.

I'm looking at sorting a "Page loading..." whilst the images load so that the browser doesn't experience any delay. Thanks for the comments, they are most welcomed.

Other than that, what are your thoughts?

BA

Patr100 19:10 10 Nov 03

I realised that the image you have used for your background has faint writing so thought it might be of significance.

One technique which I have seen mentioned is to use a very low resolution image saying say " Loading - please wait" on any page that you might require someone to wait for other images to load. Because it is so small it should load first and be visible first to the visitor. If done correctly it it appears to behave like some sort of flash or Java effect but it is just plain HTML.

PurplePenny 21:02 10 Nov 03

Is there supposed to be a background to the left column? It came up as still dark on dark even when fully loaded (Opera 7).

Other than that it looks a lot better than the first site - brighter, livelier and much friendlier.

Keep us posted on the wedding plans - we'll expect the URL for the photos :-)

Penny

Forum Editor 23:31 10 Nov 03

although I share Patr100's concern about the jerky loading of the background jpeg files - it spoils the site in my view, your comments about slow server notwithstanding.

Ben Avery 23:45 10 Nov 03

Yeah - that's what concerns me most, especially as the gif files of animated text tend to be lost in the process (not the plan!)

I really need to sort out a way to preload the images in their entirety BEFORE the images drop onto the page so-to-speak.

I'm currently looking into this idea, but think that for now I'll have to make do.

I may look into investing in a faster server and domain if the site takes off, but for now Angeltowns is keeping me hosted nicely.

Running side by side both sites is currently taking up in the region of 25MB space so cannot change to a quicker free server yet either.

Has anyone got any other ideas on how to get round the "jerky loading" problem???

BA

Ben Avery 22:23 13 Nov 03

I'm now fully hosted on oneandone.co.uk and have purchased my own domain. Due to the slow server of Angeltowns, I'm after a test by you all to check speeds etc of the old site click here and the new site click here

Please provide your feedback here (or use my actual site to contact me/offer suggestions/sign the guestbook!) and let me know how it seem.

You're opinions and critisisms are always welcome - how else does one improve?!

BA

Forum Editor 22:49 13 Nov 03

running far better on its new server, but the backgrounds are still a little slow in arriving.

You may be aware of this, but none of the 'Worship God' scripture files are there - the hyperlinks return a 404 'file not found' error. Maybe you've moved them to a different directory, and haven't updated the hyperlink?

slowhand_1000 23:07 13 Nov 03

it loaded quite a bit quicker from oneandone site, and the backgrounds load before the animated text gif.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…