A Site Check Please

AndySD 00:34 27 Nov 05

Hi all

Another site check please. This one is a favor for an old friend. click here and want to send it to him tommorrow as long as its not got to many bad reviews.

Andy

Forum Editor 00:47 27 Nov 05

the most obvious being the word "it's" in the homepage header - it should be "its".

Apart from that, the site looks fine, although I strongly recommend that your friend considers taking payments via PayPal - he will lose a lot of orders if he only accpets cheques. People want to make instant decisions when buying online, and the thought of having to write and mail a cheque - with all the attendant delays that entails - will deter many potential customers.

AndySD 01:07 27 Nov 05

Thank-you

I have changed the it's and will look again in the morning but I seem to be to tired to spot the others at the moment or I have just been looking at it too long.

I will also mention paypal to him at lunchtime tommorrow.

PurplePenny 13:46 27 Nov 05

Clean, clear and simple. I like it.

I think that the alt text for the garlic painting should really be just "Violet garlic". "Painted by ....." would be better as a title attribute so that everyone (not just IE users) see it.

I agree completely with FE's point about PayPal: we get most of our business that way, very few cheques these days. You could also mention NoChex: it isn't as well used as PayPal but some people prefer it because it is UK based. He'll lose customers without taking some form of online payment.

Forum Editor 15:06 27 Nov 05

of doing some readbility and punctuation edits on some of your text. I've sent you a couple of Notepad files in case they're of any use - feel free to bin them.

spuds 17:52 27 Nov 05

Nice clear precise website, as a suggestion, why not add a page covering the benefits and various usage of garlic.

I recently saw an advert about vinegar, and when the various uses and treatments were explained, it came as a very big surprise. This type of extra information could lead to further sales.

AndySD 18:47 27 Nov 05

Purple Penny

Thank you for your reply, I have changed the image Alt tag and will try to get him on PayPal.

Forum Editor

Thank you for the files I have used them.

Spuds

A good Idea I will look into it, but as this was a freebee I may not do it for a while (still working on another web site as well).

Regards

Andy

AndySD 18:55 27 Nov 05

fourm member

Thank you for your reply.

The url is now simplygarlic click here that was a test folder. I will have a think on the image but it was the only way to use that font.

Andy

PurplePenny 23:52 27 Nov 05

An interesting idea that I saw on an accessibility forum was the use of h1 tags around the header image. I can't remember exactly how it works but (apparently) the alt text gets picked up by search engines as the heading. Additionally giving the h1 some CSS styling means that non-image browsers will display the alt text as a well styled heading.

PurplePenny 23:59 27 Nov 05

To get "Painetd by .." to display when a visitor hovers over the image it needs to be a title attribute not a name.

Forum Editor 00:03 28 Nov 05

because there's a typo on the homepage, and it's my fault. Hurriedly bashing out the text in Notepad, I typed "avaialble", and you have (understandably) pasted the error onto the page.

My fault, but you'll have to do the alteration.

I think a 'garlicky facts' page might be a great idea - there must be a million truths and old housewives' tales about garlic, and such a page might work wonders with your search-engine rankings, as fourm member says. One or two tips and tricks about cooking with garlic might not go amiss either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…