Site Adviser lost

GPa 11:47 23 Jan 09

My Site Adviser disappeared yesterday and I cannot get it back.
When I try to download it again from the McAfee website the download button doesn't work. I have successfully downloaded other things from other sites.
My OS is XP Pro, using Internet Explorer.

does anyone have any advice to offer????

GPa

provider 2 12:40 23 Jan 09

McAfee Site Advisor is an add-on for IE. I don`t know what is causing your problem but it would be an idea to check first that it is actually enabled.

IE> Tools> Manage Add-ons> Enable or disable add-ons.

See if it is enabled or not. It could be that something nasty has turned it off in which case turning it back on may not be enough and you may have to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware to check things out.

provider 2 13:01 23 Jan 09

Forgot to mention Web of Trust may be a better alternative, though it`s sometimes criticised for being a bit too prim and proper, and some of the assessments of websites are ... a little on the hysterical side.

Matter of opinion, I suppose ... click here

mike40 13:41 23 Jan 09

Hi
I had a similar problem the other day. It just disappeared. I tried to enable it again but it didn't. I downloaded it again from McAfee website and re-installed it. It works fine now. I has happened before but I have no idea why.
cheers
Mike

provider 2 14:07 23 Jan 09

Just a thought ... some people run both McAfee and WOT at the same time ... excellent if you are a little bit paranoid, or just want to see how the assessments compare.

I`m running WOT and the website checker that comes with the Comodo firewall (Comodo Safe Surf), but the juty is out on which is better.

I tried McAfee SA but thought it was a bit heavy on resources ... not sure I could prove this though, but I seem to remember there was a lot of activity showing up in ProcessExplorer. Also, at the time it was being criticised for being far too slow in assessing new websites.

birdface 15:56 23 Jan 09

Try looking in your add-ons and make sure it is enabled.

birdface 15:57 23 Jan 09

Oops sorry provider I did not notice that you had already posted that.

GPa 11:06 04 Feb 09

My earlier response seems to have failed to register, so here it is again.
Thanks to Provider2,Mike40,and Buteman,I have checked my Manage Add Ons and found Site Adviser to be enabled.
I would prefer, at this stage, to try to solve the Site Adviser problem before going to an alternative.
anyone any other ideas?

provider 2 12:38 04 Feb 09

It might be an idea to disable it, then enable it again and see if that will do the trick.

Failing that disable, uninstall, then re-install is probably the quickest way to get it working again.

birdface 13:02 04 Feb 09

Have you right clicked the toolbar and made sure Site Advisor is ticked.

Stuartli 14:27 04 Feb 09

There are actually different versions of Site Advisor - one for IE and the other for Firefox and other browsers.

If you visit the McAfee website direct, then the correct version is downloaded for your browser.

You have to repeat this if you also use Firefox or other browser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…