Site Accessability: Javascript or No?

SimpleSimon1 12:13 02 Feb 07

Guys, I’m building my first web site (for my wife’s hypnotherapy practice) and the question of Javascript has come up. Basically, for a simple web site, should I be using it?

I’m thinking of doing main nav via some simple rollovers which, obviously, require Javascript. However, what will happen if a non script-enabled browser comes to the page? Presumably, they wouldn’t be able to navigate – does this mean that I should also provide simple HTML links in addition to ‘rollover navigation’?

Moreover, from what I’ve read, use of Javascript can trip-up various supplementary technologies such as screen readers (for the visually handicapped) etc

That being the case, should I forget about using Javascript and concentrate on providing a decent user experience via HTML and CSS?

Thanks

PurplePenny 14:01 03 Feb 07

If you use JavaSCript you do indeed need to supply an alternative for non-javascript enabled browsers. Do it via the noscript tag: If they have JavaScript the scripted links appear, if they don't then a menu using the UL tag appears (nested if necessary).

But if all you want are simple rollovers you don't need JavaScript: you can do it with HTML and CSS.

Examples (both a bit old but you'll get the idea):
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple