single partition help

paulhis777 00:16 28 Mar 10

Hello
Please can some one advise
I started a thread a few weeks ago but still need help
I have a new 320gb drive
But I want to create a single partition
Have a windows media center oem disk
What I would like to know is what different setting or options I will have when insert this oem disk
To make a single partition
Thank you paul

lotvic 00:39 28 Mar 10

Not knowing if you have an ordinary OEM disk or if it is branded then it is a case of put it in and see what menu comes up.

Personally I would have stuck with your own (back to factory fresh) recovery disk that will have the necessary drivers and then merged the partitions if you really only want one instead of two (C: for OS and D: for Data)

previous thread click here for background info

lotvic 00:46 28 Mar 10

Nearly forgot, sorry,
There are pictorial walkthroughs for reinstalling on click here Covers all OS's just choose the one you want from the menu.
I have found it very useful on several reinstalls that I have done in the past.

retep888 10:05 28 Mar 10

If you just need one single partition i.e. everything inside one partition including OS & applications then you need do nothing.

Set your PC to boot from CD/DVD first and stick your OEM windows disk in and start installation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 28 Mar 10

"I have a new 320gb drive
Have a windows media center oem disk" XP?

XP setup will not see a drive greater than 137 G unless SP2 or above so fitting the drive and install XP from a CD could give you problems as XP will create a 'Partition' and then leave the rest of the space 'Unallocated'.

If the drive is not already partitoned and formatted Can you format the drive as one partition in another machine first?
Then install XP to that partition when connected to your machine.

lotvic 13:46 28 Mar 10

I would strongly suggest you read the previous thread for background info
This is a borrowed OEM XP media centre disk and presumably OP is going to use the Packard Bell Product Key on the sticker (packard bell imedia mc 2669 pc win, xp bought in 2007)

paulhis777
the above is to help so that others will be fully aware and be able to give the appropriate advice.

paulhis777 23:49 28 Mar 10

thanks all for your advice
i shall give them a go and see what happens
thanks you to lotvic
thank you paul

paulhis777 23:53 28 Mar 10

i borrowed a friends oem disk
he says it should work if i use my prucuct key ?
paul

lotvic 00:23 02 Apr 10

Only one way to find out - try it and see.
You can always fall back on your own PB disks and use them again as you know they work even if they don't give the partition you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…