Single IDE or RAID?

papa lazarous 20:15 10 Feb 03

My old 20GB drive keeps moaning that it is full up so i've decided to upgrade. Would i get a good performance increase by using 2 x 40GB drives striped on my onboard RAID (which is currently doing nothing) instead of 1 x 80GB drive?

Rayuk 20:44 10 Feb 03

click here
You have to decide whether the price difference is worth it 40gig hard drive £55-60[£110-120]80gig £75-85

cream. 21:45 10 Feb 03

If you are prepared to spend about £110+ for 2x40 gig drives. Consider this click here . You could partition this to 3x40 gig drives for the same money and have probably one of the best IDE drives on the market.

You must check that your bios will support such a drive.

stlucia 09:12 11 Feb 03

Just a non-technical, but logical, thought: Why use RAID when you don't need its functions? It will only introduce extra processing whenever you read/write and thus slow the system down.

The best bet must surely be the simplest -- put your new HDD onto a spare IDE lead either as a master on the secondary lead or as a slave on the primary lead. Buy the biggest that suits your budget and PC, and partition it if you really want separate drives.

goonerbill 11:42 11 Feb 03

click here

if you decide to get a large hard drive and partition it, have a look at above link.
best on market.

Rayuk 17:31 11 Feb 03

Think you have it wrong there.
It reads and writes to both disks at the same time thus improving performance not degrading it.

jazzypop 17:37 11 Feb 03

Yes, you will get a performance increase used a striped RAID array vs a single drive - see click here

Only you can judge whether the price is worth the performance.

Remember that a striped array, although speeding up disk access, does nothing in terms of data security.

Keep your existing drive to backup your data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…