Single Host, Multiple Domains

Michendi 15:59 23 Apr 05

What is the best way to isolate multiple domains & sites within a single hosting package but at the same time ensure that search engines will still find the sites?

Assume a single hosting package and 5 domains, each with their own website. To isolate each domain from the others a website for each domain could be placed in a folder off the root and the root could be protected. The disadvantage of this is that to facilitate search engine functionality the URL then becomes domainname.domtype/foldername/ which does not look professional.

Is there a tried and tested way to securely manage multiple domains and their sites within the same hosting package but retain a short professional URL and simultaneously facilitate search-engine functionality?

Matt45 21:01 23 Apr 05

Get a reseller account like the accounts availible here - It's still cheaper than all seperate accounts. click here 23:38 23 Apr 05

is put them into separate folders (with their own set of sub folders) into your server's root. Site1, site2, etc.

I have eight domains in the same package, all with their own domain name and url.

Michendi 09:52 25 Apr 05

Thanks for the link. I will take this up with my Host and see what they offer.

Placing each site in its own folder off of the Root is obviously what one wants to do simply from a point of organisation if nothing else.

What I have not been able to resolve is having to tag the subfolder name onto the end of the URL. A good URL should be something like and not That just does not look professional.

What I am looking for is a script will enable the following 3 critical criteria:

1. A protected Root

2. Each site in its own folder off the Root

3. Still facilitate Search Engines to find the sites.

--------------------------------------- 23:30 26 Apr 05

domain to it's folder name in the root and it will show up as that You dont need a special script.

As I said, I have eight domains side by side on the same server, all with their own domain name, all in search page results.

Michendi 08:43 27 Apr 05

Can you provide more detail to explain your sentence "..... point your domain to its folder name in the root and it will show up as that"

Thanks. 13:12 27 Apr 05

you have to tell it where the site is that it is supposed to point to dont you?

So if you have two domain names and, you have two folders in your root firstfolder and secondfolder.

Point to firstfolder, and to secondfolder.

Inside each of the two folders are the relevant sites subfolders (index, images, html, etc.).

It works for me.

Michendi 13:59 27 Apr 05

Hosting providers obviously all have their own way of setting things up. I am going to have to investigate this with my Host because it certainly isnt setup like that by default. It may be an option in some obscure submenu....

I will let you know. Thanks again.

So when one gets a domain name this is linked to the site index.htm file durng site setup on the host. So for every site (each index.html) just link the domain name to it. Is this right or shall I go back to school? This is similar to my query under '...needs' question.

Reseller looks interesting. Is there somewhere that explains how it works from basics?

Forum Editor 20:17 27 Apr 05

By default your domain name will resolve to your web host's name server. Your host will then point inbound visitors' browsers to what is called the root of your web space - rather like the front door of a house. Inbound browsers will automatically look for a file named index.htm or index.html, and they'll download it for display on-screen. If you use one of the popular web-design applications, and use it to publish the site the software will automatically put the index.htm (or html) in the right place. If you do the publishing yourself, using one of the FTP programs, you must make sure that you place the index page in the root of your space.

Using the house analogy again, you could have several people all living in one house, and each of the could have their own letterbox on the front door. Inbound letters would go into the appropriate boxes. So it is with domain names. You can 'point' a particular domain name to a specific folder in the root of your server space, and then an inbound browser that waqs looking for that particular name would be directed to its folder. The browser would look for an index.html file inside the folder, and would display it.

That's what is saying.

You might need to talk to your host (or explore the options in their control panel) to see how you can point your domain names in this way.

All domain name locations are recorded on big servers dotted around the world. These Domain Name Servers (DNS) hold databases which tell them which host holds which names. Your web host will have what's called a 'Tag', and if you buy a domain name via a hosting company the name will be 'tagged' to their name server. When you type a web address in your browser's address bar the browser goes off to the nearest DNS and asks for the location. The DNS redirects the browser to the location that's stored in the database. These databases are updated constantly, and it usually takes around 24 hours or so before a new name's location is recorded.

You can transfer a domain name from one hosting company to another by asking company A to 'retag' the name to company B.

Reselling works like this:

You pay for a large amount of server space with a host, and the company sets up yopur account so that to all intents and purposes you act as a web host yourself. You can host many domain names and websites, and charge your customers a hosting fee. You can provide your customers with all the facilities that the main hosting company could provide (or most of them), and you're in business for yourself. Be warned that reselling requires a fair amount of commitment on your part - you can't simply leave things to run themselves - and you do need to have at least a fair working knowledge of how web servers and sites work. When things go wrong your customers will turn to you for resolution, and unless you can provide a rapid, efficient service you'll run into difficulties. Because you're taking money from people you must comply with all the relevant legislation, and frankly unless you're reasonably serious about the business I wouldn't recommend that you try it.

I hope that rather brief synopsis (which is much simplified) helps a little.

Michendi 23:40 30 Apr 05

Success...... eventually. I have a Windows hosting package, guess where the instructions were? Yep thats right an obscure reference in the FAQ's of the Linux hosting package.

Thanks to all for their input. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…