//some 3rd party need geo

Single beeps from a laptop

s99Raj 21:55 11 Jun 06

I have a laptop marked Rock Quaddra (Model D611S) and when I switch it on, absolutely nothing at all appears on the screen, no matter what button I press, including F1, F2, F8, F12, Esc, Del etc.

What it does do, however, is beep about once every second for about 30 seconds and then it stops beeping.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 11 Jun 06

Beep Codes
click here
click here

probably a memory error, try reseating the memory modules. usually under a flap on the underside.

woodchip 23:30 11 Jun 06

Overheating. I had this only other day on my Laptop.

Josho™ 23:33 11 Jun 06

Repeating short beeps: Power supply or system board problem.

Quoting from Fruit Bat /\0/\'s first site.

Josho™ 23:35 11 Jun 06

Very true, got me thinking, my laptop is permanatly (sp?) hot, when it gets REALLY hot it beeps.

woodchip 14:27 12 Jun 06

I would say the CPU fan as stopped working

s99Raj 10:19 13 Jun 06

You're right, Woodchip. There are two fans on the underneath of the laptop which aren't spinning, and possibly more fans inside the laptop aren't spinning either.

What could be the cause of this?

Does it mean the cpu is now fried?

Is it likely that the motherboard is now no good?

woodchip 10:40 13 Jun 06

No it may be a power problem but it could just be the fan needs replacing. On my Laptop the fan is easy to get at but yours could be different. This for mine, just above the keyboard there is a strip with buttons in it including Start button, this slides to the left about three sixteenths of an inch and lifts off then three screws old the keyboard fro lifting, you can then see the fan top left with it's cooler pipes this is held by three screws. If you do try changing the Fan you will need some thermal paste for putting it back in so the fan can do it's job. My Laptop is a Medion made by Mitac. But laptops tend to follow a build pattern. Hope it all goes well for you.

PS the fans do not work all the time

woodchip 10:53 13 Jun 06

PS the CPU will shut down when the fan does not work. Even before it get chance to boot

s99Raj 13:35 13 Jun 06

Thanks for that. I haven't actually opened up the laptop but the two fans I'm talking about are ones I can see without opening it up but just by turning the laptop upside down. They seem to be just cooling fans blowing air out of the laptop and not attached to the cpu or anything (maybe the hard drive).

Problem is I don't have spare fans just like it so I can't try to replace them myself. Maybe the cpu does shut down when any fans don't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…